JB_Arroyo ... No not that Arroyo!

IZaNaGITheKorn

Hiya everybody, some of you may know of me from Interlopers but although i have been registered here for a while i've never introduced myself or posted any of my work. I'm a long time mapper for HL2 and now mapper for Jailbreak: Source (http://www.jailbreaksource.com/) where i'm responsible for new map, model and texture content. I'd just like to pimp my latest map that will be released in the next couple of months with Jailbreak 0.4, as well as muster up some new support for our mod (which BTW is being built up from the ground by only 4 of us).

Set in a gulley or Arroyo far off in a nonsensical future, this is a completely team based affair with 2 opposing bases.

Heres some screens ...

newarroyo1.jpg

newarroyo2.jpg

newarroyo3.jpg

This is the red base, leading into the gully. the displacements still need some work but you get the gist.

newarroyo4.jpg

newarroyo5.jpg

newarroyo6.jpg

This is the blue base which again leads to the gulley area which connects them both together.

newarroyo8.jpg

newarroyo91.jpg

And a couple of random images from other areas of the map. I'm really interested on your thoughts/comments, and i hope you like the shots as i like to think there a good taster of the other content which will be available in next version of JB, which apparently has suffered so far due to its lack of custom content.

Thanks everyone!!!

IZ

http://www.jailbreaksource.com/

The rock, mud and grass textures I really don't like, the rest is pretty damn nice. :)

In particular the grass is way too 'acid' green and the blend between grass and mud comes out looking like some crazy radioactive glow.

A stronger rock texture with a good normal map would really make this, so I'd encourage you to get a source texture from http://www.cgtextures.com/ and make a really strong normal map using CrazyBump.

(Example I did: http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/21323/ ... 711_rs.jpg Not perfect with the lighting/specularity but you get the idea)

Your rocks could use some more variety and a less squared shape.

How much of the map is seen here and how much of the whole map is taking place on more than one height level? :?

Aye, as already stated i'm still working on the displacements despite the fact the rest of the map is pretty much complete and i will increase the texture size of the cliffs as well as add a bit of spice to them using bumpmaps. You can see about half of the map in the screenshots and the map actually has two levels split at about 70% by 30%. Is only having one level a problem anyway? :?

Anyway, thanks for the comments thus far, i really appreciate everyones views, be it positive or negative!!

How much of the map is seen here and how much of the whole map is taking place on more than one height level? :?

You can see about half of the map in the screenshots and the map actually has two levels split at about 70% by 30%. Is only having one level a problem anyway? :?

multiple levels of height make a map more interesting to play - you are not just swiveling your mouse left and right, but worrying about up and down too.

I'm not sure if I am right, but since it looks like some sort of CTF map with two bases and those very similar, I suppose you just mirrored the bases. So, since I cannot see many height differences, my guess is that your map will most likely be boring, if not at least for me.

You could get in some additional routes; for example one that ends at the waterfall above the corridor, so there's just a hole you can pop out of. Stuff like that on a different level. Post a layout if you can :P

Post a layout if you can :P

Narr that would be far too difficult for me buddy :cry: :wink: ... oh wait there, ...

arroyo2.jpg

Its a bit old and has changed a small amount since this was taken. Your entitled to your opinion of course, thats why i posted this here after all :D

multiple levels of height make a map more interesting to play - you are not just swiveling your mouse left and right, but worrying about up and down too.

I see what you mean, and that go's without saying Gabe. As stated though there are 2 levels for that reasoning :) but if people are more concerned about this i'll be sure to make my next JB map have more levels for interests sake. I guess my main concern this time was create something more balanced then any previous map i have built and i got sidetracked because of that.

Dux, i didn't really see a problem with them before, but they are kinda random looking in this image (too bright maybe) :wink: nothing i cant reskin though and i'll change the man holes to a custom one that blends in more! Ta mate!!