Operation Black Mesa is looking for talented individuals.

Hello, I am current co-leader of the Source engine recreation of the original Half-Life: Opposing Force. The mod has been in development for around a year and a half, in which time we have had multiple media releases, and have started to build up a fan base.

More information on the mod, as quoted from our ModDB profile.

Operation Black Mesa is a total Source conversion of Half Life: Opposing Force....

...A list of features planned for the final release:

» Complete re-creation of all 12 chapters from the original.

» Models that push the limits of the Source Engine.

» Multiplayer, including Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch with all the original levels fleshed out.

» New voices, sounds, and visuals to truly immerse you in the Black Mesa incident.

» Level Design tweaks to utilize the advanced physics engine introduced in Half Life 2.

» A remixed soundtrack including enhanced music from the original along with all new ones.

» Extended Single Player experience, with new areas and new monsters filling in gaps left in the original.

» Immersive scenes that make you really feel for the employees of the Facility.

» CTF may be included, But not in early releases.

Images from our last media release can be found on either our ModDB profile page (http://mods.moddb.com/6885/operation-black-mesa/)

Or on our website (http://www.operationblackmesa.com/media.php)

We are currently interested in filling the positions of:

Conceptual Artist - applicants must

» Be a talented and experienced artist.

» Show a portfolio of past works or be prepared to perform a skills test.

» Preferred to own the original game, Half-life: opposing force for use as reference material.

Texture Artist - applicants must

» Have extensive experience with Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro or equivalent.

» Possess the skills to create textures for use in Source engine based levels.

» Be able and willing to perform a texture art related skills test before acceptance and or have a portfolio or set of past work available to show.

Modeler - applicants must

» Be prepared to show examples of quality high-polygon/low-polygon models of the field they would like to apply for.

» Be skilled in creating accurate, detailed, and compelling models based on reference images, logic, and imagination.

» Be proficient in 3D Studio Max, Maya, XSI or other equivalent modeling program.

Lead Programmer - applicants must

» Be prepared for general programming tasks, including both development and bug fixing.

» Have an extensive knowledge of C/C++ and examples of past work.

» Have excellent written, verbal, and communication skills.

» Previous experience with the Source SDK is preferred but not required.

Level Designer - applicants must

» Have a portfolio or have examples of past work.

» Be proficient with Valves Hammer Editor.

» Be prepared to perform a skills test at the development teams request.

Musical Composer - applicants must

» Be skilled in both remixing old music as well as creating new pieces.

General Requirements for all positions include the ability to meet deadlines, obtain a high level of quality throughout all work, possess good team skills, and be able to maintain a positive attitude.

If interested, please either contact me, reply to this thread with the means of contacting you, or register and post on our forums.

Email: madgernader@gmail.com

MSN: Same

thumb_54467.jpgthumb_54463.jpg

thumb_54464.jpgthumb_48538.jpg

While good, my biggest gripe with this mod is that the areas of re-creation just bare no resemblance to the original at all in my view. When re-creating environments from the game I think you need to keep it as close to the original as possible while still being able to add in additional details and improvements that the engine provides over the originals.

This screenshot for example could just be anything. I am aware it is a WIP but even for that it seems miles away from what it could be.

opbm_thepackage_outside02.jpg

Yes, I see your point, that area had been changed from its original, which had a much bigger resemblance to the original, because of an ugly deal with the original mapper being accused of stealing designs out of the leaked black mesa source maps, and because of this Seldoon redesigned the level so the issue wouldn't escalate, and so not as much time went into making it as much a recreation, but as you mentioned it is a WIP and most likely will change.

In our final designs we do want our levels to bear a closer resemblance to the originals, while also changing enough to efficiently use the new engines features and improve on the game play/atmosphere laid down by the original.

http://galerie.half-life2.cz/albums/userpics/MP5_ingame.jpg

so you want me to believe this is just a cosmic coincidence or does this mod really plan on existing solely as a mediocre Black Mesa: Source?

I fucking love you.

I have been trying to tell the public now for a few months how incredibly obvious that it is that this mod is stealing work from us. They even took shit from Lambda Core.

Are you fucking serious..... God damn, it seems everyone that I recruited when I formed the mod team wants to just rip off content....

FMPONE, i never directly replyed to your post, as you must have posted it as I was writing my first reply, I don't frequent the BMS site, and so I'm glad that you brought this picture up, I never knew that it still resembled it after it was changed, it was never mentioned to me, I will talk with seldoon about this and see what I can do about removing the pictures from the site, I say see because Seldoon is running the site and controls FTP access and the like... I am getting really tired of this happening and basically ruining my good appearance and making me look like a common thief.

JeanPaul, if you don't mind, could you find other places that bear this level of resemblance with BM maps and pm them to me so that I can get to removing them, and hopefully stop this from occurring.

well ok.. on last time the mods have been growin like on trees.

i see more and more wanna be mods grow up all over. It's just interesting if it could lead anywhere, I mean re-creating such a big game expansion pack for halflife is a big job.

good luck with that mod..

and don't forget gearbox software worked on Opposing force, professionals, you can look inside the user manual and see how many people were involved into that large project.

if you will sucess by making this mod as close as to the original product, well, then i'm just glad.

Are you fucking serious..... God damn, it seems everyone that I recruited when I formed the mod team wants to just rip off content....

FMPONE, i never directly replyed to your post, as you must have posted it as I was writing my first reply, I don't frequent the BMS site, and so I'm glad that you brought this picture up, I never knew that it still resembled it after it was changed, it was never mentioned to me, I will talk with seldoon about this and see what I can do about removing the pictures from the site, I say see because Seldoon is running the site and controls FTP access and the like... I am getting really tired of this happening and basically ruining my good appearance and making me look like a common thief.

JeanPaul, if you don't mind, could you find other places that bear this level of resemblance with BM maps and pm them to me so that I can get to removing them, and hopefully stop this from occurring.

why are you here and complaining so much

look, man, ur really complaining about the ftp, and ur actually here to inform and reqruit people of this community. or are u here to tell us the latest..

Kinda like the mod idea, not looking at the whole stealing thing, and i find it a shame the two mods can't work together, sicne it's both actually at the black mesa facility, sure some things will look alike anyway, might aswell do it right and collaborate on creating piecers and bits of black mesa.

why are you here and complaining so much

look, man, ur really complaining about the ftp, and ur actually here to inform and reqruit people of this community. or are u here to tell us the latest..

Im sorry, that post was more out of personal frustration, and as the first two replies had gone, I felt this was going to turn into another thread just ripping at the mod, Now that I look at it again I should have made that into a pm and sent it, but its a little late for that now.

Thank you for your thoughts in your other post though, and looking at the manual, and seeing the gearbox teams size at the time really isnt that bad, if you take out the people designated to write the manual and design the layout and consider the fact that some people can do multiple things it comes to about 22 different people, which is fully acheivable by a mod, we just need to fix our image and get some good content out there and get the people interested, which can be hard, as there are people that would want the mod to be exactly the same as the original, and then theres almost an equal amount that would want it changed to improve the story or other features in the game, its really a lose lose situation either way.

I know the whole discussion has been lead in the black mesa forums earlier as well that I told your Mod-Leader what has been stolen in detail and what team members ripp off and what is ripped off (I remember Xen-Controlers, Weapons, Maps and all that kind of things ripped off). On the one hand - this discussion should be over by now. On the other hand - why is this stuff still in your mod?

And onto the question why they can't work together: Because it is the personal art-style of another mapper they have stolen. It's not like they came up with concepts for Op4 and a whole team and said "Let's work together" but started the competition themselves with actually already stolen material.