Future Contest suggestions

von*ferret

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about not making any contests?

instead of that let the people in here pick few people to make a mapcore hl2 single player mission :)

like... everyone who wants in has to reply to some topic. then there would be a poll and the community could pick 3-5 of the "best" designers/mappers and then the 3-5 best designers/mappers would make the hl2 sp mission.

ofc some1 should write a story for that or something...

how about not making any contests?

instead of that let the people in here pick few people to make a mapcore hl2 single player mission :)

like... everyone who wants in has to reply to some topic. then there would be a poll and the community could pick 3-5 of the "best" designers/mappers and then the 3-5 best designers/mappers would make the hl2 sp mission.

ofc some1 should write a story for that or something...

Such projects usually last for 2-3 weeks, with a few WIP screenshots posted then the project disappears into thin air.

I would be motivated to do something with very limited ressources. i like JonM's idea.

sp, 2048x2048 etc. is just too much time intensive. A nice little contest like the low poly modeling contests would be nice. Something that can be done in 1-2 nights.

Mobile game level. Metroid prime on the DS like levels.

Ive always wanted to do something like that, oldskool low poly stuff and heavy texture use to try and squishe some details out of the very blocky looks.

Problem with your contests is that you all want to do it in source, that kinda eliminates a lot of people and sticks to a certain look and feel. You best need a contest that fits a lot of different engines and platforms.

I would be motivated to do something with very limited ressources. i like JonM's idea.

sp, 2048x2048 etc. is just too much time intensive. A nice little contest like the low poly modeling contests would be nice. Something that can be done in 1-2 nights.

Mobile game level. Metroid prime on the DS like levels.

Ive always wanted to do something like that, oldskool low poly stuff and heavy texture use to try and squishe some details out of the very blocky looks.

Problem with your contests is that you all want to do it in source, that kinda eliminates a lot of people and sticks to a certain look and feel. You best need a contest that fits a lot of different engines and platforms.

ooh thats a cool suggestion, I'm definitely up for that. 2000 triangles and 512kb texture space maximum for a whole level (those are actual ds specs!)

A mario kart like race track would also be very cool to do.

How about using no content at all? Or no textures at least. Just have geometry of flat solid colors. Thats forces you to think about lighting, brushwork, architecture, the actual space etc, also gameplay and layout. could yield interesting results. Most modern architecture today uses little texture in their materials.

examples:

http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/blogon/upload/2006/06/zaha2.jpg

http://www.guggenheim.org/hadid/images/highlights3.jpg

sll9.jpg

20061010denversh1_450.jpg

It will stretch the imagination more and you probably get the most original source engine maps.

just a thought...

1st and 4th image (not sure about 2nd one) look very much like the Mercedes Benz museum in Stuttgart, which is awesome :eng101:

When I was there I thought it would be so awesome to take a day and capture the whole thing on camera, take pictures for textures and rebuild the whole thing (or at least parts of it because it is pretty damn big).

That's a too big project for a contest though I guess :(

(although making levels under usage of certain architectural styles could be cool...)

How about....

We all try to make a _FUN_ fy_/aim_ style map.

Obviously, since this is the core, it has to a> play well and b> look good

well, people would probably build the same crate filled piles of shit. bad idea

WAIT SOMEBODY ALREADY SUGGESTED THIS OKAY I'M CRAWLING BACK INSIDE MY SPACESHIP

Here's an unorthadox contest idea...how about a competition for who can come up with the best single player mission idea? It could be for an existing game or even a whole new game made up on the fly, FPS, puzzle game, whatever; basically so long as it has a start and a finish, and that the level design plays a large part in the idea (e.g. no 'escape the room' sorts of puzzle games), it's acceptable.

Submissions would consist of a written synopsis of the scenario and gameplay goals, and also level layouts and scripted events planned on paper.

The benefit of such a competition is that absolutely anyone could make a submission, as there is no game engine to work to; and also it would be an exercise in SP planning skills for all involved.