Sign in to follow this  
skdr

Blizzard's new game

The vast majority of people play World of Warcraft for the social networking aspect of it, an incredibly powerful force, and not the gameplay at all. This is kind of obvious when you think about it because not only is the gameplay dull, but it's also monotonous, uninspired, mundane and wholly fails to engage the play in any kind of meaningful action.

It is the size and variety of the game world that makes the social aspect so appealing and alluring, and not so much the artistic direction, epic world, etc. Games like Second Life have proven that being even remotely visually appealing is not a requirement as long as the size and variety is there.

If Blizzard can harness these same ingredients in its next game, it doesn't really matter what the game is as long as the theme sounds appealing to a lot of people. It's then guaranteed to be a success.

Let nobody argue with my opinion for it is correct in every single way. :cool:

:eng101: ARGUE ARGUE ARUGE ARUGE :eng101:

Actually, I agree with this, particularly the part about SL. It's starting to become that the social aspect of online games are making the game more than the actual gameplay is, which I personally think sucks, but what can you do?

Entertainment is subjective, clearly not everyone likes the same things, and the entire RPG genre itself is loathed by some. But if you think it was successful purely because “lol people are morons and/or kids” I would ask you what the hell you’re talking about.

Rather than creating something new, Blizzard work predominately by taking something existing and making it simpler, more accessible and extremely, extremely polished. They do some original things, of course, but their success in WoW is them taking the MMO genre at the time and stripping away everything bad, catass and dull*. Levelling system professions, instances, raids, death, PvP - all got the Blizzard treatment.

Again the subscribers making up the majority WoW player base are not from other games, it is not assimilating them, they are mainly new casual players that wouldn’t touch the old-style MMO’s with a ten foot barge pole.

* Relatively speaking.

This is kind of obvious when you think about it because not only is the gameplay dull, but it's also monotonous, uninspired, mundane and wholly fails to engage the play in any kind of meaningful action.

Levelling and grinding is most certainly pressing the same keys over and over to enemies that are virtually the same. But this paragraph of pure malice does not apply to PvP or end-game PvE. If you’ll humour me, the first 3 bosses you can choose from are Magtheridon, Gruul and Hydross. Have a skim, a bit far from dreary tank and spank. In fact their a bit too far, if there’s not a steppingstone 25-man introduced they’re going to start losing people who can't cope because they just play it as a 3d chatroom.

I quit playing this properly a while ago, but some geeky remnant is I still enjoy reading their boss design.

If you compare World of Warcraft today and what it was on release, it is no longer the game what it says on the retailbox. People should start claiming refunds for it.

Personally I am looking forwards to it whatever it might be. You guys can hate Blizzard for whatever reason you like, but I can only look back on the countless hours of fun they have given me over the years and get excited about what they are going to do next.

There are a lot of stupid and rather immature posts in this thread that I kinda hoped not to see on a site like Mapcore. I spose you can't put an age limit on who signs up on a forum. Still comes across as a bit childish though.

Spose I should be grateful that haters have turned from Sony to Blizz for a bit.

I'll get back in me box....

Yeah first of all I am looking very much forward to this regardless of what it's going to be. Blizzard has only released top quality games in the past and I have no doubt that they will continue to do so.

Starcraft is among the best games ever made and probably the best RTS ever made. It would be sad that if they discarded the RTS as that is what rocked.

Regarding the slightly OT discussion about all the kids and idiots in WoW, I would just like to note that people in WoW generally only tend to play together with players in your guild and on your friends list - people who usually are not idiots.

So complaining about having lame kids there and whatnot, that is pretty lame imo as you are free not to play with those. Sure there are many of them in WoW, but as long as I can play with my great guild members, then I don't really care.

If you take a look at Blizzards job page you will see several new lead positions available for "Next-gen MMO". This can only mean that they soon will start up a new MMO, that can be anything from WoW 2 to SC MMO or whatever.

http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/

The vast majority of people play World of Warcraft for the social networking aspect of it, an incredibly powerful force, and not the gameplay at all. This is kind of obvious when you think about it because not only is the gameplay dull, but it's also monotonous, uninspired, mundane and wholly fails to engage the play in any kind of meaningful action.

It is the size and variety of the game world that makes the social aspect so appealing and alluring, and not so much the artistic direction, epic world, etc. Games like Second Life have proven that being even remotely visually appealing is not a requirement as long as the size and variety is there.

If Blizzard can harness these same ingredients in its next game, it doesn't really matter what the game is as long as the theme sounds appealing to a lot of people. It's then guaranteed to be a success.

Let nobody argue with my opinion for it is correct in every single way. :cool:

haha wow you really like to hear yourself talk right Thrik? I thought you had your blog for that :P

I played 2 characters in WoW, leveled up to 22 and 23, so by no means high enough to fully judge the game, but I figured I rather spend my little free time on other games than such a time consuming one. I'm kinda puzzled about statements from people who say they level up to above 20 in 2 nights, it took me 2 weeks for the first char and like 3-4 weeks for the other one. I guess I'm just slow :(

If I was still in school I would probably be all over it though, although the setting isn't really my thing. I can see why some gamers hate it for distracting people from other games and for sucking up lifes like no other game out there, but simply for that you have to admit that Blizzard did everything right and hit the big jackpot. They keep spitting out bestseller games and I respect them for that :)

Yeah props to Blizzard, 'a large amount' of people don't lie.

Now if their next game could be some kind of stylish free mmofps, I don't care for rpgs all that much :)

Yeah props to Blizzard, 'a large amount' of people don't lie.

Sorry but this is wrong. Just because it has a huge player base doesn't mean it's a good game. Again, look at halo.

But don't you see that this is subjective? I also don't understand why people like Halo so much, I personally don't enjoy the game, but when you look at it from a neutral perspective you see great reviews across the board and millions of sold units. "What IS a good game" ?

Anyway I think we are beating a dead horse :D

Good game doesn't always mean good product. And good product doesn't always mean good game.

WoW is probably the best single "good product" in the industry. As for the game, to each his own.

Just like Coca Cola is actually quite a shit drink when you think hard about it while drinking it, WoW is actually quite a shit game when you think hard about it while playing it.

... :cool::cool::cool:

wow is just mind killing..

but then again it had its fun moments.. to bad those fun moments are not that funny actually..