Teen Arrested for Counterstrike Map

Grinwhrl

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/world-gone-mad/

In a world gone mad...a Chinese high school student in Fort Bend Texas is arrested and then forced to attend an alternative education center when parents discover he has created a Counterstrike level based off of Clements High School for he and his friends to play on. The student had his home searched for weapons, was detained until it was determined no charges could be filed, and is now unable to graduate with his peers, all because of his mapmaking skills.

Oh wait, it was completely founded. He had swords. Thank god we stopped him before he went medieval.

I can understand folks being a bit jumpy in the wake of the Virginia Tech incident, but whatever happened to just...I dunno, talking to the guy? Asking him what his intentions were. Seeing if maybe he'd take it down? There are better ways to safeguard ourselves then having police ransack a teenagers bedroom. What a complete nightmare.

Now the Chinese community of Fort Bend is rallying support for the unjustly punished young man, trying to get him reinstated in class, or at the very least trying to get the school board to admit they might have gone too far. As one community member says, "We should teach our children not to judge others harshly." What exactly are we teaching or children these days?

Twenty-two years ago a teacher caught me drawing him with an arrow through his head and made me stand next to his desk holding the picture for a half hour while my fellow students made faces at me. How far we've come. Michael Fahey

Discuss

Pretty lame, poor kid, but it is a pretty edgy topic for maps. He should have just built a Church :P

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read about this, it's a fucking joke, there's like tons of maps based on schools, someone just wanted to make a level out of something he knows so he could play it with his friends. I might even smell racism here.

Once again, dunno if i should cry or laugh :-D:cry:

EDIT: oh and.. WHAT A GREAT AND ORIGINAL IDEA FOR A MAP, MAYBE HE DESERVED IT

No, it's oppression.

Oh well I agree with you in terms of morality, but in America you just understand the way you're treated by the media isn't even handed if you cross certain "lines". I imagine its the only place in the world where there are such contradictory ideas of freedom of speech, basically you have the freedom to say anything that doesn't offend or scare anybody because the second you do the media turns you into a DANGEROUS INDIVIDUAL and wherever you're working or whoever you know suddenly has an entirely different opinion on you and it can ruin your life basically. Take a look at all the people targeted for saying something vaguely racist or I'm sure the hundreds of kids following VT that got thrown out of school for doing something "threatening"

Its not so terrible I guess compared to starving to death in Africa etc, but in terms of a democracy to say we have full freedom of speech is really disingenous, we have majority rules simple as that and prevailing morality says you better not make a scene.

But so long as one or two kids make increasingly deadly attacks on schools the shit aint going to go away, infact its guaranteed to get much worse. Thanks you crazy bastards~!

Just shows how much fear a school shooting can cause among ordinary people.

This kind of reactions happen when ignorant people listen to the media speculating about whether violent

video games had something to do with the shootings, and start to get

paranoid and reporting random people to the police for nothing.

He should have just built a Church :P

- i don't understand what you wanna point out.

On the topic: It's a fairly well known thing here in germany. After schoolshotting in emsdetten several level-designers took down the DL-Links and Images of theyr school maps (hey - it is a good theme to learn mapping real things). The media hunt on this was very high because the school of emsdetten was made a map as well - though it is unclear if the map that was posted was made by the gunman.

Fabel's teach: Do not Map your School, map the pentagon - gives you even more attention :/

I feel Insurgency is going to get this pretty fucking hard when we release, but I don't honestly give a shit, if that sets people off then theres no room for error in anything and at that point I concede to myself that I don't really want to live in America anymore from a creative standpoint. Sucks :(

Then again its slightly different as we're not THREATENING THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in the land of the free you are not even free to make the maps you want anymore. Granted, it can seem as unrespectful to make a such map, but from there and to the point where you don't allow the guy to graduate - that's madness.

NO. THIS. IS. SPAAAARTAAAAAH!!

Forgive me.

Every nation has it's thing I guess.. Here in Holland we sell our identity to the highest bidder. We remove WW2 monuments because muslims feel offended by it (they where on hitlers side because he wanted the Jews d34d).

Iran says it's teh best nation worldwide and doesn't suck and that it's going to kill all infidels and americans and kaffirs after theyve slaughtered the Israeli's lol.

The Japanese still deny theyve lost the war back in 1944 and don't respect the 2 minutes of silence we keep here, to pay respect for our fallen.

The French don't like the English.

The English don't like the French.

Germans should learn to speak a fukken language a part from their own and stop synchronising their movie and being so damn proud.

The Irish are small people.

Brittish drink tea.

South-Africans say apartheid wich is a Dutch word to begin with.

Korrean people have generally small weiners.

This is just appalling. The silver lining right there is that games can just no longer depict real life, everything is fine in arts until people can identify to what is being shown, and then you have emotions thrown in the mix, and this type of reaction comes along.

For someone to go to a point where he/she imagines that a human being plays a game (be it video or whatever) to train for his own actions is just plain sad, that just shows that if there is one universal truth, it's that assumptions are indeed the mother of all fuck ups

He should have just built a Church :P

- i don't understand what you wanna point out.

On the topic: It's a fairly well known thing here in germany. After schoolshotting in emsdetten several level-designers took down the DL-Links and Images of theyr school maps (hey - it is a good theme to learn mapping real things). The media hunt on this was very high because the school of emsdetten was made a map as well - though it is unclear if the map that was posted was made by the gunman.

Fabel's teach: Do not Map your School, map the pentagon - gives you even more attention :/

Almost every game has a church, random humor/