Stack overflow in neighbors - Vrad

hessi

i got this error while compiling some big map for source engine :( google didnt spit out some good solutions so maybe someone has a solution here?!

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>vbsp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 4 2006)

1 threads

materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\materials

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.vmf

fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...

ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)

ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)

Processing areas...done (0)

Building Faces...done (1)

Chop Details...done (0)

Find Visible Detail Sides...

Merged 3126 detail faces...done (1)

Merging details...done (0)

FixTjuncs...

PruneNodes...

WriteBSP...

done (4)

writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.prt...done (0)

Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:

skybox/sky_name_hdr*.vmt

Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:

skybox/sky_name_hdr*.vmt

Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

Finding displacement neighbors...

Finding lightmap sample positions...

Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10

Building Physics collision data...

done (2) (1503566 bytes)

Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10

Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.

Compacting texture/material tables...

Reduced 7864 texinfos to 3828

Reduced 692 texdatas to 539 (38166 bytes to 29701)

Writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.bsp

24 seconds elapsed

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>vvis "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.vmf"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 22 2006)

1 threads

reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.bsp

reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.prt

1618 portalclusters

3938 numportals

BasePortalVis: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (5)

PortalFlow: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (215)

Optimized: 3480 visible clusters (0.00%)

Total clusters visible: 400266

Average clusters visible: 247

Building PAS...

Average clusters audible: 685

visdatasize:349642 compressed from 673088

writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.bsp

3 minutes, 42 seconds elapsed

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>vrad "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.vmf"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (May 22 2006)

----- Radiosity Simulator ----

1 threads

[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']

[42 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\ACCOUNT_NAME\day of defeat source\dod\maps\some_map25.bsp

13748 faces

5 degenerate faces

5572177 square feet [802393536.00 square inches]

89 displacements

879453 square feet [126641288.00 square inches]

Stack overflow in neighbors

http://www.chatbear.com/unity2/4989/800 ... 816959/0#1

Im not a coder or anything but when I take a look at the source at the place where that code is produced, its (as far as i can tell) trying to count the faces neighbouring a certain vertex. (these faces are called neighbours). when vrad encounters more neighbours than it expected, it throws this error. My conclusion is that you have a too complex or invalid brush

btw, I also see something about smoothing groups, may be something to do with too many faces neighbouring each other in the same smoothing group

I vaguely remember coming across this one while making some of the Dark Messiah maps. I believe it can also be where a single lightmap is shared across too many faces.

Zombie@computer is always worth asking if no one else can fix your problems. He lurks about on interlopers and on the VERC forums.

• 4 weeks later...

Had this error with one lightmap being shared across too many hitting faces :( seems like it comes up with a wide variety of problems.

Zombie@computer has got a brain the size of texas if you ask me, a few years ago he solved alot of my problems when vlatitude was still active :) (or well, when I was active on there... since I haven't looked on there for years)

But I think hessi, maybe your stairs had lightmap problems, since it's alot of faces and ususaly not alot of lightmaps, I ususaly find it better to make stairs in a modeling program if i can manage, since it allows you to be a tad more creative without such problems i think.

Had this error with one lightmap being shared across too many hitting faces :( seems like it comes up with a wide variety of problems.

Zombie@computer has got a brain the size of texas if you ask me, a few years ago he solved alot of my problems when vlatitude was still active :) (or well, when I was active on there... since I haven't looked on there for years)

But I think hessi, maybe your stairs had lightmap problems, since it's alot of faces and ususaly not alot of lightmaps, I ususaly find it better to make stairs in a modeling program if i can manage, since it allows you to be a tad more creative without such problems i think.

i played around with geometrie. even my model was a func_Detail it CSGed really strange. though modeling might be an alternative BUT there wont be any lightmaps + model is much more memory usage when releasing the file + extra content + changing world geometry results in reexporting the model (maybe)

• MapCore on Discord

• Our picks

• Post in Yanzl's Source Emporium
      Two new asset releases!

First up is Basalt. Sadly I can't release all of the assets as some of the nature stuff is from Megascans and can't be redistributed. Also only includes the assets I've made.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e86kdqwpvhhs5x6/Basalt.zip?dl=0

Second one is assets I've made for Pitstop. A small release that includes some road and concrete trim textures, a bunch of sponsors and some skybox buildings that might be useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6tn3b6nfo2u77d/Pitstop.zip?dl=0

As always, free for non-commercial use with attribution.