Unreal vs Source.

Spellbinder

So for some people that haven't yet decided which engine they should or shouldn't start with here's a thread where you can tell us all whats good with an engine (what you like) and whats bad with an engine. And PLS dont make it as low as starting namecalling or trolling or flamewar. Keep to the facts. Saying Unreal engine sucks or is gay isn't saying any one anything. So really this isn't a discussion thread as much as a thread for every one to say what they like/dislike with the engine's. If you dissagre with some one maybe you can take it through pm.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't say about UE, I'm owned by Source :D When I tried to make some landscapes I missed some major features there, I had to use 3rd party apps to import heightmaps. The vegetation system tools are almost inexistent, you have to edit some text file for almost everything. In fact one of the tools I use most in Source is the damned notepad :D

Does someone know something about next Hammer ( 5 or 4.x whatever is called) ?

Go with Source - it is harder to work with at some parts but you at least understand what it does. I don't know too much about the Unreal Engine it self and less i do know about UE3 but I know that it is a satisfying feeling to know every number you put in a vmt file yourself by name and can adjust everything as you need and wish, while some of the newer sdks seem to go into the direction of a "let's throw together some prefabs"-editor. It is the difference between writing html and a php backend your self or going to myspace and click on a template and make it extra uggly...

Sometimes it's good to have access to the lowest level. Once ago I had a bizarre situation where I needed to create 64 vmt's that were part of the same group. I made a script to automate that process. However, Valve should integrate material creation, model compile, soundscapes, etc. into Hammer. Both, low level and easy usage, should be possible.

• Mapcore Supporters

Funds go towards hosting and license costs, Discord server boosts, and more. If you'd like to donate, check out our Patreon announcement.