Sign in to follow this  
Albatros

[REL] DoD_Edelweiß Beta 3

Heya,

Well, besides it's a beta, I think there's just one thing to be said: you can find an ugly point of view in every map. That's no task, it's no big business and not even going to take you more than a minute.

Coming along with this is a disregard of all the hours and days of positive work put into that very map, that's the deal of a constructive and a destructive criticism (probably directed to the drunkards :D).

Concerning the stairs: you're right, besides a lot of personal and business trouble I tried to get a release-playable version out, with visual marks set on the main combat zones, which obviously reach something of a touch among the community. Might or might not be regarded, anyway it should.

Concerning the tunnels with the bricks melted into them rocks, read above. I just neither have the time nor the pretension to make it look perfect. In fact I had to stamp it out of nowhere within hours, since the balance showed up major deficites. I only noticed that when the map was tested in a third-hand-public server.

Concerning the windmill-parts: mapping is only an art dedicated to creating a perfect illusion, so I had to virtually improvize on whatever spot I could to warrant both an impression and a quick gameplay. If you meant to offer me a set of custom models for the motors, please feel free to go ahead and create me some! Keep in mind I have a limit of no more than 20 MB to hold, though. Thanks!

Concerning the stairs - you're right. I'll see and make them look proper.

Cheers! and thanks for the refreshing comments,

Albatros

of course there is an ugly spot in every map, but you made it pretty easy. just spawn as an allied and there is blocky brushwork all around. okay you said you know that this isnt perfect, but then allow me to criticize it.

concerning the mill part: there is one rule that can be applied on any game: don't create any detail with textures/props that aren't made especially this.

and why should this map stay below 20MB?

greetings

wow - detective hessi strikes again.

Although that was no big mistery to reveil I guess, one just needs to load up the level.

It's a shame though because crafting as sloppy as that staircase really gives a bad impression. And I'm saying sloppy and not WIP, because you've posted this in the "finished work" section, where the stakes are higher and you did a pretty good job at hiding these spots on the screenshots you provided ;)

Let me know if you want this moved to the WIP section and you'll probably have an easier time getting away with that kind of stuff ;)

hehe, the buglord strikes back :banjo:

@Albatros:

I really like the setting of your map. Of course, the facts and screenshots, hessi postet aren`t that good. But in what i disagree is the lighting. Why no warm colours in a winter-scene? Maybe the spring comes over the mountains? :holy:

But the worst thing of your map: It is a DOD:S-map. I do not own a copy of this game :cry: But I agree to you that this map does fit better to DOD:S than to CS:S or HL2DM. Maybe I have to buy DOD:S...

But all in all, a pretty fine map :banjo::banjo:

Hey guys :),

To be honest I wasn't certain in which forums to post a finished beta. At least it's far away from a release candidate, as you've all noticed :D, so it definately still is [WIP]. But then again, there's many beta-entries here, so I thought it would be best to post it in the "finished work" section.

I'd not at all mind moving this into the [WIP] area if you think it fits into there :).

One thing though: the spawn areas are definately very pale and lack detail all over the place. They're only temporary solutions, since I use my beta releases to get an overview on the overall balancing.

What's good about a map when the gameplay doesn't fit? It's not all about them visuals. Same goes for the 20 MB limit. Most servers won't even load up a map crossing that line, and I need players to play this map so I can find out how it plays. If I was able to make it a 60, 70 MB .bsp, I could definately make it a shiny beast, but that's what my next project is going to run for :).

Thanks again for the ideas, working on the spawns and bland areas (although life is going to be hell today, there's hundreds of thousands of psychos running up and down the street celebrating their own incapability in what they call carneval, although I prefer "brain carnage" :P ).

Albatros

Albatros":2dxdpfpr]Hey guys :),

What's good about a map when the gameplay doesn't fit? It's not all about them visuals. Same goes for the 20 MB limit. Most servers won't even load up a map crossing that line, and I need players to play this map so I can find out how it plays. If I was able to make it a 60, 70 MB .bsp, I could definately make it a shiny beast, but that's what my next project is going to run for :).

Albatros

You can have good gameplay and good visuals you know :)

I agree with hessi, the staircase shows that you have a bit more work to do polishing the map with some better brushwork. I don't know how long you've been doing level design but designing stairs like that is something you usually learn not to do after a while. You do seem very talented though and you definitely have an eye for overall composition of your levels, but I think you might need a bit more practice with the technical aspect of it.

I'd offer to help clean up the brushwork for you because I really like the vibe of the map, but I don't have DoD:S. You're almost there but now you need to smooth out the rough edges on some of the brushwork and then you'll be ready for your final. :)

Hey there :),

thanks a lot for the offer. I guess I should be able to get it all finetuned on my own. The low-quality corners of the map do result from me hesitating to waste brushes. I've been mapping for HL1 for a couple of years which taught me to keep an eye on the overall brushcount.

I'm afraid I had to learn that Source can deal extremely well with even high counts of func_detail brushes. I'll definately work on Edelweiss with my new techniques.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

This is how I work nowadays (a project I started last week) - getting 100 fps in average on this one.

Cheers,

Albatros

Kudos for the distinctive theme. It's great to see a map that feels as though it has been conceptualised as whole, rather than compartmentally. Everything focusing around the cable cars makes for a refreshing change over the stock maps.

I think things are at that really tough stage where you need to add the polish. Every wall, texture, stair, displacement etc should be scrutinised, and be made to look as good as possible. A final of this should look very good indeed.