3d Studio vs Maya (for game development)

Minos

Which 3d app is the best for game development ?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3d app is the best for game development ?

• 3d Studio
    • Maya

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, maya has a lot of pro's for games too. A lot of studios utilize melscript to integrate maya into their pipeline. I would say out of all the studios I have seen / interviewed / seen job postings for, it's been about a 50/50 split between max and maya.

i can agree with that. tough it wont cost that much time to switch from one application to another because the users already know what they want and often it is only hidden in some other context menu

• 4 months later...

Well, Discreet was bought up by AutoDesk a few years back, and they are going to be merging some elements from both into a new package from what I hear, which is probably a good thing. But Autodesk did buy alias recently too... Kinda lame that Autodesk now pretty much has a monopoly on the 3d market.

Personally, I started out with rhino3d along time ago, then to 3ds, then to XSI, and now I'm trying Maya. Since I've been in college, I've used autocad and now I'm using rhino for a class.

Rhino, to me is the easiest to use. It would be an excellent app for just modelling props. I wish it was more prevalent in the gaming industry.

I don't know, maya has a lot of pro's for games too. A lot of studios utilize melscript to integrate maya into their pipeline. I would say out of all the studios I have seen / interviewed / seen job postings for, it's been about a 50/50 split between max and maya.

Yeah, this seems to be the case - it's all down to studio preference. I think it makes things easier if everybody is working in the same package at times, too.

I never could get used to Maya, I've stopped learning after I runned it...

oh well.

Also, for example in FEAR engine you can do everything (place props, light etc) in max, also X-Ray engine maps are almost completly made in max/maya, but still normal 3d game engine editor is better than any 3d app, well that's what Hourences said.