Seamfoam and shorelines?

Vinny Testaverde

Hi, this isnt really a engine question, but I am guessing that shorelines and seam foam, (like in farCry) are programed into the water shader?

But anyways, my question is how is it done? I wish to replicate this in 3dsmax without having to use crazy plugins. Is the foam animated textures on another plane of geometry that interacts with the shore? Is there some kind of falloff thats used on the ocean shader?

I want a animated realistic shoreline, but its just quicker to keep it simple, and obliviously the solutions game engines have to come up with are low poly, low resources etc.

Thanks for any help!

this is probably way old school by now but I remember in vampire we used a sine function to animate a seafoam texture on planes to slide up and down the sand.

Farcry does just that I believe, only theyve automated the process.

An extra border of planes on the shores with two or three foam planes moving in and out, scrolling over each other still works well and with todays advanced shaders you could easily make it all look more shiny and more dynamic than what it really is.

One single foam texture moving up and down will look bad, youll need multiple, possibly also slightly growing in size the further they get.