DM_Snowdin

Ooghijmiqtxxa

snowdin5fn1.jpg

snowdin4of0.jpg

snowdin3fg6.jpg

snowdin2tb2.jpg

snowdin6aj0.jpg

I still have a long ways to go on this one. Right now I'm playing mostly with the lighting and still creating textures when I get the time. Any repeating textures will be dealt with at the end. I still have the outside area to make which is what I'll be tackling tomorrow. I really want this thing to be perfect so anything you guys think would help I'd love to hear it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks promising, I like the snow! A few suggestions:

As mentioned in the WIP thread, you should something else with or instead of the blocks that are placed along the upper half of each wall everywhere. I see you removed a piece but they still look rather uninspiring and out of place. Make them blend in better with the rest of the wall!

The pipes are something that would need some more detail in my eyes, like supports that hold them or a grate here and there. Cables would also be a cool detail.

The screen props look tiny, sure you don't want to scale them up?

I think you could do with reworking the snow pile displacements a bit - they look rather oddly shaped at the moment, but maybe that's just me. I second Koko's comment about the volumetric light too - seems a little too harsh, especially considering that it doesn't appear to be very bright at all outside.

Nice non-Source feel to the whole affair though. I think those textures are doing a rather stellar job :)

I think it looks great for a start, the fading lightbeam in the second picture didnt look so good tho. Oh and, you might want to vary your lighting.

Thanks Skjalg. The lightbeam is really tough to work with. The texture is basically an additive blue square and for the bottom I used a fade-to-black additive texture. The thing is a bitch to see in Hammer so I'll work on that. I tried some red lighting but it looked a little funky. You think some orange would look alright? I love your PVKII map by the way.

I really love it. I am a fan of the style.

But maybe some point in your map that makes it unique?

Its a bit to much of the same.

Yeah, I'm working on putting it all together. I believe the outside arena part will be the focal point of the level and really tie it together. Other then that, I'm going to be adding more doors/passages, windows and I'm probably going to rework the second room (the one with the bridge).

Looks promising, I like the snow! A few suggestions:

As mentioned in the WIP thread, you should something else with or instead of the blocks that are placed along the upper half of each wall everywhere. I see you removed a piece but they still look rather uninspiring and out of place. Make them blend in better with the rest of the wall!

The pipes are something that would need some more detail in my eyes, like supports that hold them or a grate here and there. Cables would also be a cool detail.

The screen props look tiny, sure you don't want to scale them up?

Those bastard blocks are killing me. I want to keep them in but not sure what to do with them. I was thinking of making some sort of tech texture that fits in between them and have wires cascade around to each one.

Those pipes are really bothering me. I really want to stay away from using too much pipe, but I wasn't sure with what to stick there. I might get rid of them and add another set of windows there and have it snow through those windows too.

The screens are overlays so I can scale them up no problem. It's just that the model is only so big, but I think I can do it. Thanks Fried.

I think you could do with reworking the snow pile displacements a bit - they look rather oddly shaped at the moment, but maybe that's just me. I second Koko's comment about the volumetric light too - seems a little too harsh, especially considering that it doesn't appear to be very bright at all outside.

Nice non-Source feel to the whole affair though. I think those textures are doing a rather stellar job :)

The snow is too pointy, yeah. You're right about the brightness of the light. I'll tone that down a bit. Thanks

Really nice work, I'm not sure what engine this is?

If it's Source, I'm really impressed.

Its Source, but I was really trying to go for a Doom3/Quake4ish style. Thanks man. :D

It looks like a good start so keep working on it

If it was me i would make the volumetric light in the first screen more diffuse, but that's really to find something :oops: . Other than that, impressive work both on mapping style and textures

Thanks a lot guys! :D

I think it looks great for a start, the fading lightbeam in the second picture didnt look so good tho. Oh and, you might want to vary your lighting.

Thanks Skjalg. The lightbeam is really tough to work with. The texture is basically an additive blue square and for the bottom I used a fade-to-black additive texture. The thing is a bitch to see in Hammer so I'll work on that. I tried some red lighting but it looked a little funky. You think some orange would look alright? I love your PVKII map by the way.

Thanks dude :)

I think you can mix almost white (a little yellow), with sci fi cold blue and then, but not so often, dot it with a more yellow but strong light.

Where's Homer

Ha! I'm glad someone caught it!

snowdin7ug5.jpg

Reworking the second room a bit. You can see the snow a bit up by the windows. I'm going to be adding way more to that and more snow at the bottom.

snowdin8be7.jpg

This is the last room. I JUST finished it so I have a lot more detail to add to it. I really like the orange lighting coming from the sides so I think I'm going to pump that up some more and make it a bit darker so you see more of it. I'm also going to be adding some huge monitors and general detail.