Sign in to follow this  
Izuno

Final Fantasy players here?

- if you play other MMOs (like WoW, EQ, etc) but not FFXI, why not?

I play WoW casually (wheres its faster to level up by just doing the right quests then to grind), theres no way I'd commit to the grind-a-thon that is FFXI.

Take the warcraft out of WoW and you still have a fun game. Take the FF away from FFXI and you have something that looks like dozens of other MMOs

- if you play other MMOs (like WoW, EQ, etc) but not FFXI, why not?

I play WoW casually (wheres its faster to level up by just doing the right quests then to grind), theres no way I'd commit to the grind-a-thon that is FFXI.

Take the warcraft out of WoW and you still have a fun game. Take the FF away from FFXI and you have something that looks like dozens of other MMOs

Ah good insight. I'm getting the sense that a lot of people find the FF MMO game to be more tedious to level up...aka "a grind"...

Anyone else feel that way? Feel differently?

That was definitely the case in FFVII and VIII. Anyone who tried to beat the Weapons in VII will know just what I'm talking about....

The grind in FF Online is really bad, and as I understand it you basically have to take your character on that treadmill multiple times. One of the reasons WoW was so successful was it reduced, or at least disguised, its leveling grind, trade skill grind and all manner of other things ending in “grind.” It did have a rather hardcore reputation grind but this was addressed in the expansion.

FF Online also only has a few classes that can solo content effectively, some just have absolutely no chance. Whereas people can, and usually do, level themselves to max by themselves in WoW, instead of needing the holy trinity (tank, healer, dps) to do anything - which adds a ton of tedium to the already tedious grind.

FF Online also lacks dungeon crawling content and most of its PvE content revolves around one of the biggest 4th wall breakers of a consistent world: respawns. You kill a thousand mobs and hope they respawn as bosses. And then quickly kill them before someone else, who are of course camping the same area, jumps on him (there are only 6 bosses that aren't instanced in WoW, so you don't get this problem – or if you do it's a big deal and leads to drama).

But the thing is while FF Online has a more hardcore leveling and training process, its end-game content isn't hardcore at all and it's relatively sedate. It seems once most people have played at max-level for a while, they start over. WoW's end-game content is epic, you're killing massive dragons, gods and elements, who are not scaled up mobs with a few stat tweaks. They take strategies and days of learning to kill. There's certainly no equivalent of the The Four Horsemen, C'Thun or even Patchwerk. If you check a FF Online data-mining site you'll just see the bosses get things like “he has these abilities and this much HP.” You certainly don't have to dance.

If you go back to my earlier post and follow the link, there's an interesting site showing the various facts and figures of MMORPG's available right now. FF Online really isn't that well, especially compared to the behemoth (*g*) of WoW.