de_wanda by warby ... final release !

Warby

I think everyone is entitled to his opinion and lazy's points are valid, but I also agree with Hessi that this is not the kind of map that is built for tournaments. If you want a fast, 100% balanced map - play any of the official or CPL maps.

This is more of an artistic showpiece, "built for fun" map from what I understand. Warby had fun making it and it looks pretty orginal, maybe he went a bit over board here and there but if it's playable it should be perfectly fine. Again everybody should be allowed to post his opinion/feedback - if it is considered by the author is a different story :)

Now be merry kids.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That there are little sounds is not the problem, it's only

one of the points. The biggest point is the performance,

that's what is for me all about here.

I care about the look and said it's brilliant but "look" is

not "map".

And for the sake of god: I'll never feel envy for some-

thing I don't want to aim at.

Simply stunning, some parts of the map needs more polishing etc but I've gotta say this looks outstanding.

Good work, don't worry about the FPS. Your map looks awesome but won't be played in the servers but does it really matter? No, it's your artwork and a great piece to add in your portfolio.

lazy, i disagree with you. soundsscapes are well done. you even here a coin when looking through one of those lenses.

and your crappy fps: get a new pc. if we would still work on 300mhz work stations like 7 years ago, you wouldnt even have game physics at all.

thanks.

If you only create maps for high ender

you are absolutely wrong in the job.

You're so wrong it's not funny. I had this exact same debate on the Steam forums when I released my HL2DM map and there were a bunch of people who were saying the map played like shit for them and how I was a terrible mapper because I mapped for high end people only. Of course, the map ran flawlessly for me on my 9800 PRO with 8 people on the map...I tested the map on a middle of the line video card and it ran solidly, yet I still heard complaint after complaint.

Even if warby's map is a little more demanding than the average CS map, who cares? At some point you have to try and squeeze everything you can out of an engine to keep people interested in the game. The Quake mapping community is still going for this very reason. No one is interested in making maps that still adhere to what people were expecting in 1996.

Buy you a new pc or just skip the bullshit about high fps.

warbys map is fantastic you're all wrong u have the wrong pc.

I TELL U WHAT: I suffered before when my COUNTER STRIKE 1.3 crashed, my pc burned and steamed and I finally broke it.

And what? I bought a new pc and it works awesome.

He built the map for 5 months, you spitted a comment about his map that sucks because of the low fps for a second.

When I look

The effort, time and skill that went into the map is outstanding. Performance is a bit crap in some places but on my computer it's not too worrying. I like the overall style of the map, and it's a pity you had to cut back on soundscapes because the map feels a bit empty because of it (sound compliments the graphics of the map to make a good overall atmosphere).

Hessi, L4zy wasn't really flaming the map, you were trying to rebutt his opinions on the map and while I don't agree with him saying the sound is "shit", he does have some good points. Warby may not have wanted the map to run on mid-range computesr, but that's what the majority of players have - so it's best to try and keep within that.

Same here.

"Steam Is Currently Having Trouble Connecting to the Steam Servers" Error - 15/12/06

"There is currently a wide spread power outage in Bellevue/Seattle impacting Steam Server availability. Unfortunately ETA for when the power will be restored is unknown as the power company will only work on restoring it once the storm has eased and the high winds have died down.

Any issues you are experiencing with connecting to Steam are only temporary, as this isn't an end-user issue".

Same here.

"Steam Is Currently Having Trouble Connecting to the Steam Servers" Error - 15/12/06

"There is currently a wide spread power outage in Bellevue/Seattle impacting Steam Server availability. Unfortunately ETA for when the power will be restored is unknown as the power company will only work on restoring it once the storm has eased and the high winds have died down.

Any issues you are experiencing with connecting to Steam are only temporary, as this isn't an end-user issue".

About 1.5 million homes and businesses in Washington and Oregon had no power early today after a howling windstorm knocked down trees and power lines. At least three people died in the storm, including a Seattle woman trapped in her basement while it flooded.

The biggest point is the performance,

that's what is for me all about here.

I care about the look and said it's brilliant but "look" is

not "map".

And for the sake of god: I'll never feel envy for some-

thing I don't want to aim at.

in the game industry its called today: "make games for tomorrow, not for yesterday" so buy a new pc and don´t cry about fps!

warby - great work, but i don´t tell you something new *g*

• MapCore on Discord

• Our picks

• Maginot [Wingman]
      Hello everybody!
      I'm creating a map (based on the Maginot Line) for the Wingman's Contest - provided by Source Engine's Discord.

I started the map 3 weeks ago and I'm on the detailing phase, slowly progreeding area by area, worried with the time left. I decided to follow this strategy: detail 75% of every area and after that (and gaining some time) I'd put some final touches + polishment + optimization.  

I wonder, should I keep doing it in a hurry or is it better to make it with no rush and patience (losing the deadline)? There's still a lot to do and I'd like to hear your opinions...
      • 26 replies