The Hows And Whys of Level Design - Released!

Hourences

zeOx, if it comforts you, the print would be sent from spain and thus it would be an inter european delivery which is normally not subject to any extra taxes.

Although Im unsure about the situation with norway since its not a EU country.

Glad to hear IO got one :)

Very happy to hear that it is also received well by experienced people Cirian!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself to know a lot about level design despite my lack of releases, i worked on a lot of different engines since 1997 and i still learned a thing or two reading the exerts from your book on your website.

In particular the gameplay/layout part and comparing them to highly successful maps ive seen across different games, it was very accurate.

The lighting part especially caught my attention to concepts i never thought of.

Ordered on Dec 11, sent on Dec 14, and still nothing...I suspect the postman in this case.

I should have bought the pdf :/

That sucks but I cant help you directly since lulu handles the delivery. Contact them and ask whats up.

In most western countries the delivery is done through a package delivery firm like dhl/feddex/ups/etc. It could be that they just couldnt find your house and returned the sending.

If the delivery address was in the USA and possibly Canada too you should have gotten a tracking code so you can check where the hell it is.

So want the book, but £26.39 is a bit over the top for me on a book. I take it its not going to be available in a shop anywhere? I have shedloads of vouchers :P

The .pdf is much better value but doesnt have the same shinyness as a book

:(

I shall have to get it at somepoint though.

Edit: I lol'd at the super mega fast delivery option, £22 for book, £78 for delivery tommorow.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the holy e-book ;)

I've not read it thoroughly yet, but this sentence catched my attention :

I've made so many Unreal Tournament levels that I don't need to go in-game anymore to find out how it plays.

Wow. I mean, I don't know how to come to this level of confidence since I made mistakes on every levels I made and I still do. Hopefully, playtesters are there to save the deal :)

im half way through the book now (usually too tired to read after work) and its got some really (really) good advices in there. you might be repeating yourself a bit much in the book but it definitely shows your points though. i wasnt too sure about the excaggerating bit. it really depends on the type of game and style you are shooting for. in any case its still better to excaggerate than not going far enough.

this book should be in every leveldesigners (amateur and professional) bookshelf.