Sign in to follow this  
von*ferret

DM_Fairytale Beta1

I had so much trouble with the water fall...everyone could do it but me.. but thats probably cause my latency was like 200 something

... omai!.. but the whole time Fetter laughed at my poor attempts to jump the waterfall.

Nice overall effect but I think rough around the edges for sure. I can't bare tex misalignments much and there's some really messed up examples in your map. I know some are meant to attain an effect but i'm talking about the general.

Also, the brushwork is good and bad, some areas you achieve a certain freaky style and others it almost seemed as if you didn't know what to do and ran out of ideas. Like some doorways are awesome and others are just ineffective. Very intricate work though, must be hard.

The waterfall idea is cool, but screw that in multiplayer because that thing is faulty ass. It needs to be easier to get up there, right now it's lank hard (well for me.) You keep on bumping into the cliff. I suggest just flattening the brushwork in that area.

Also add some custom sounds to your level, it adds loads of atmostphere. I like seeing someone else but me use sprites well to glow the window lights. I must say, you have a very good lighting in my opinion.

Models are sex.

Keep it up fetter.

- Ewok

your comments are appreciated, though in the most cases they are hollow. YOu are saying I have good and bad brushwork? Fine, leave out what the good brushwork is and tell me what the bad brushwork is? Was it the door ways? what are you talking about? Get more indepth or I'll have no choice but to ignore your comments. I'm glad you like the lighting, it was a fun experience. The waterfall was a great idea and still is. the playtesters all agree that while it is hard to learn at first, they love it in the end because its different and fun. So I'd say stick with it and try it some more.

Where's the fairytale elements? It just seems surreal (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's cool). There's a gingerbread house, and?

Enchanted house, hobbitville (hobbits aren't relaly a fairytale but give them 100 years), Hansel and Grettel, and Alice in wonderland. I'm trying to fit in enough time for ALi Baba and the 40 thieves.

From what I've played, you have to treat the waterfall kind of like a bounce-pad. Have your back to the cliff, walk forward then jump - the momentum should push you over the edge in one piece. Or at least that's how I've been doing it. Doesn't make a difference though, I still get wasted in playtests. :)

Shotgun way too dominant in this map though, IMO.

The fact that I have to reply to this is stupid. Good and bad meaning, in some areas it's ok and in some it's bad. Gosh, not that hard. I was being general, just ask (like you eventually did while saying I didn't make sense.) That doorway by the mill and one in like a kids room looks silly. It doesn't look wicked like in Alice. But in the inside area there is circler doorways which does work ... good and bad see.

The waterfall was a great idea and still is.

Wow, nicely put, basically you don't really care what anyone thinks as long as it's great for you. The point is the average gamer can't make it up there without "practicing", which in turn makes it crap NOT nice. Because in Deathmatch, there is meant to be SPEED, not oh **** I fell down and lost health because of the cliff face ergo -bad brushwork-. You want to have a flowing map that you don't get stuck while rushing about causing mass carnage. Take [email protected] for example in de_quarry, the fire extinguishers on the wall are walk throughable because it's annoying getting stuck in extruding objects while in a gun fight.

Before taking offense to criticism at least try and see where the person is coming from before dismissing. Cause then you piss them off.

*EDIT - Sorry, I was angry and you didn't derserve they method in which I typed this*

- Ewok

Ewok you missed the point in my reply. I didn't mean to antagonize you rather point out that you commented without examples, which did me no good. Thank you for your comments I will see what I can do about fixing them up, but what you ask is a lot of structural work and I dont have time to do it all if I'm about to put this into the competition. There will be another way out of alice in wonderland (alice does not comprise of the whole map btw, just the basement). The waterfall is hard at first, yea, but everyone says so far that they like it or at least can use it. Its a pain in the butt but beats a huge ladder or steep ugly stairs.