The day habeas corpus died

FrieChamp

I would like to hear your opinions about this, but keep it civil:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/10/1 ... rpus-died/

The source is obviously biased, if anyone got a source from Fox News about the matter (as an opposite point of view :P ), post it here.

So far I - as a non-american - could mostly chuckle about many of the decisions made by the Bush administration, but this is getting scarry.

As a non-american, I don't really care.

Sure it's somewhat sad, but it's their country, their problem, their president (they chose) and their laws.

I'm not planning to go to united states in a near or far future, so for the moment, it does not concern me.

Hey, you asked to hear "our opinions"..

Turley: "People have no idea how significant this is. Really a time of shame this is for the American system.—The strange thing is that we have become sort of constitutional couch potatoes. The Congress just gave the President despotic powers and you could hear the yawn across the country as people turned to Dancing With the Stars. It's otherworldly..People clearly don't realize what a fundamental change it is about who we are as a country. What happened today changed us. And I'm not too sure we're gonna change back anytime soon."

Rather true. So damn unfortunate that there is so much voter apathy

Yes this is scary. Meanwhile, should this be in the political discussion? Where's a political forum moderator when you need him? :D

Political discussion has been locked for months.

Yes I know. My attempt at humor obviously failed.

If you really think about this, you wonder if eventually people will start getting dragged out of their homes? I really don't believe that. if there is any kind of abuse against U.S. citizens that directly results from this, it will probably be more subtle on the front end but pretty bad on the back end. In other words...suppose the government suspects a person is, for whatever reason, a "bad guy". Rather than drag him out of his home in the middle of the night in a Fascist nightmare, they'd probably get very discretely picked up or questioned for something relatively minor and when no one is looking they are suddenly "transferred" to a delightful prison in some random hellhole somewhere and, well you can imagine the rest.

Or I could be completely wrong. Eitherway, i'm sure someone here will base a video game story off this. :idea:

George Bush isn't going to go down in history very well.

Oh yes, he's already being hailed as one of the worst ever. I have a feeling in the 20 years after the presidency when we start to learn what really went on behind closed doors, it'll only get worse and worse. I still can't believe 30-something percent of people in this country still APPROVE of the job he's doing. Its disgusting.

We need a democrat in the white house. I'm not saying democrats are perfect, everyone in politics has their head up their ass to a certain extent, but at least a Democrat would ensure that there would be a drastic change from what is going on right now. Its worth a shot.

I know a lot of you aren't from the US, but I am. I live in Connecticut, if you follow US politics at all I'm sure you've heard of the race for senator going on right now(election in nov). Its huge. Joe Lieberman, that turncoat son of a bitch. Loses the democratic primary so he decides to run as an independant. And he's winning in the polls right now. I really really really hope he loses. If he wins, I'll probably cry. Its getting to that point.

Excellent bit by Keith Olbermann

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15147009/

About the space thing: My dad is thinking about indicting the USA because of clearing the possesives ("I was going to plant a tree and now it could reach intowards my new so declared neighbours plot of land") :D

International Court of Justice ^^

... though i don't think that helps neither does bush go to an international court of justice...

so...not trying to be a troll or anything....but you can't seriously blame 1 person for every trouble in the world. if you have a problem with the USA you should probably blame it on the large corporations or people who actually have power.

who gives a shit what presidents say....the president of israel is raping people while in office...the prime minister of the UK is telling muslims wearing their head dresses is stupid

when you have to speak all the time a decent amount of what you do / what comes out of your mouth is going to sound retarded.

the political system is so boring right now...I seriously can't believe people still give a shit. who cares about fox news, al franken, or any of that shit. supporters and opponents of everything sound less like inspirational thinkers and more like gang bangers. conservatives say the media is liberal, liberals say the media is conservative. everyone is just talking to hear their own voices. seriously I wish I could go back in history and find all the bullshit accusations that were made against every one of the US presidents....cause you know...lyndon johnson killed JFK...