1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

cartoon textures

  • zaphod
  • October 12, 2006 at 7:25 AM
  • zaphod
    • October 12, 2006 at 7:25 AM
    • #1

    I did these for a personal project that is on hold while I switch to something else. I have never tried doing anything of this style before, and I actually learned a lot while making these, especially about the pen tool.

    [Blocked Image: http://marshmonkey.googlepages.com/cliff.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://marshmonkey.googlepages.com/crackedearth.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://marshmonkey.googlepages.com/mine2.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://marshmonkey.googlepages.com/wood2.png]

  • dissonance
    • October 12, 2006 at 7:46 AM
    • #2

    looks nice! reminds me a bit of the WoW textures, but not completely.

    thinking of releasing a map using these?

  • hessi
    • October 12, 2006 at 8:15 AM
    • #3

    good stuff. i like the cartoon style. ever thought of making a small scene with those?

  • ReFlex
    • October 12, 2006 at 11:30 AM
    • #4

    Nice, I like it!

  • spine
    • October 12, 2006 at 11:30 AM
    • #5

    Nice, gives me a good o'l donky kong feel, hehe...

  • Dodger
    • October 12, 2006 at 2:12 PM
    • #6

    Ok looks like from TF2

  • Polaris
    • October 12, 2006 at 2:59 PM
    • #7

    Cool stuff. The second looks like it tiles both vertically and horizontally. Did you get that done very easily?

  • zaphod
    • October 12, 2006 at 5:23 PM
    • #8

    it was going to be for a mario-kart-esque project on the torque engine, I still might use them, or fit them into some other project. Yea, that cracked rock and also the mine wall which I have without the wood supports both tile all the way around. It was a bit of a brain challenge to make but I did it by working on clumps of geometry and then constantly using the offset filter to shift all the layers around to get a different clump in the middle of the screen, so by the time I finished it was already tiling.

  • dux
    • October 12, 2006 at 5:32 PM
    • #9

    Reminds me of Monkey Island 4 for some reason. I dig.

  • skdr
    • October 12, 2006 at 6:49 PM
    • #10

    lovely

  • kleinluka
    • October 12, 2006 at 7:01 PM
    • #11

    interseting I'm working on a cartoony game now too. It's a nice change isn't it ?

  • zaphod
    • October 12, 2006 at 7:11 PM
    • #12

    yea, it was a fun exercise and I'm looking forward to doing more of it in the future

  • Mazy
    • October 12, 2006 at 8:34 PM
    • #13

    Looks cool zap~

  • cardo
    • October 19, 2006 at 11:22 AM
    • #14

    Wow! These look really cool. Definitely reminds me of banjo kazooie or something rare-esque. Are these available for download at all or not until your on hold project is done? Wouldn't mind having a mess about with a map with these. Great style!

  • e-freak
    • October 19, 2006 at 12:40 PM
    • #15

    Just a little linking: http://sourceblog.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4741

    (It's a comic-texture contest)

    now to the textures: looking good, maybe you could higher the contrast in the wood texture. i really like the second texture but dislike the third -> there seem to be really big stones which could be better lightened ingame with an normalmap imho

  • blackdahlia
    • January 25, 2007 at 11:18 PM
    • #16

    these are awesome is there anyway i can get my hands on these?

  • ⌐■_■
    • January 26, 2007 at 1:21 PM
    • #17
    Quote from blackdahlia

    these are awesome is there anyway i can get my hands on these?

  • zaphod
    • January 26, 2007 at 5:51 PM
    • #18

    yea, feel free to use them in any non-commercial project

  • st0lve
    • January 26, 2007 at 5:56 PM
    • #19

    I'll try to make some like that, I know I can do it in illustrator but where is the fun in that? Also it would be a pain the ass to make them tile. I like them a lot, but what is the 1st texture?

  • mjens
    • January 26, 2007 at 6:09 PM
    • #20
    Quote from st0lve

    I like them a lot, but what is the 1st texture?

    Its a soil I don't know how to say it in right and proffesional word (non english ), so I will try to describe where to find it You have to dig a big hole in ground to see the layers of humus and types of soil and thats what this texture show. I hope you understand what I mean

    BTW! Really great textures - when they will be available for download?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    n4r
    October 11, 2026 at 1:37 PM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™