Sign in to follow this  
LeJean

HL2DM - down_there (still wip...)

This is a fantastic looking map, especially with the custom models and textures (very rare among hl2dm maps).

However from a gameplay standpoint... there's an abundance of "pretty" hl2dm maps that don't get much play cause they don't add anything new to the deathmatch experience. They're just a collection of fantastically attractive rooms with weapons and health that you run patterns in without anything more, even something as simple as a moving platform or door. Have you put any traps in? Anything at all that requires buttons? (levers in this case, what with the medieval theme) How about a handful of gravgun-held swords, just for fun? Torture chamber? I saw a guy make a pretty convincing mace with the hurty-part connected with a physics constraint. Maybe make an explosive wooden barrels filled with gunpowder model?

I think it looks good, but those things with fire in them look sort of weird.

The shadows below them may be fairly realistic, but they sort of confuse my poor eyes.

Maybe fiddle some with the lighting to reduce the darker shadows some.

Hey, update ;)

Singedrac: yes, there are some Traps. No Buttons, but Doors that can be shot by the gravity-gun, some hanging things to shoot around and stuff like that..

Evert: thanks! I'm about to change some things concerning those fire-pots... updates next time :(

update:

- added the banner with some reflecting parts (the golden stripes etc.)

- fixed some smaller problems

- added ambi-light to improve lighting (more contrast, not only yellow..)

- added some pieces of wood to throw around a bit

dt_c46.jpg

dt_c47.jpg

dt_c48.jpg

dt_c49.jpg

dt_c50.jpg

so far...

update-list for next time:

- change fire-"things"

- add weapons and items

D o w n l o a d

! pre-release, no final version !

http://www.lejean.computer-dc.de/first_ ... _there.zip

(please do not use models or textures while the map is not released, thanks)

LeJean

-I see potential for the lights to be picked up and thrown - I don't know if you can parent the env_fire to the lights or not, but it'd be awesome to have flaming torches flying around the map, and there seems to be very few physics objects scattered around the place to use.

-Some of the crouch spots like the area leading into the pool (on the bottom level) are quite buggy, and if you go into a tight spot the camera starts shaking. This is also a problem in between the 2 jail cells

-Some of the trim models (the white bricks) look broken due to the lighting:

bugkb7.jpg

Basically, make the models here longer so they aren't split up (and get messed up by the vertex lighting!)

-The front gate of the map is awfully low resolution (consider a custom gate model?)

That's all from me. The overall quality of the map is great - this should be an awesome map when you finish it.

It feels very "Prince of Persia". Very original and pretty fun to play. Don't worry about it not fitting the HL theme. The lower area with the jail cells seems to be a little stagnant. I would recommend removing/reworking that area.

Hey there,

this is the newest version of down_there:

http://tinyurl.com/tkrbd

please note, that this still is a pre-release (playtest-version)!

i know, that some problems still have not been fixed, such as the incorrect lighting of the white stones. but i'm working on this ;)

enjoy, and let me know how this map is being played with some more players :)

thx,

LeJean