Sign in to follow this  
JAL

Your first Level Editor

This is a mainly Leveldesigner oriented forum,

so it occured to me that it would be sweet to know how your

history with level editors and mapmaking began.

So, what was your first Level Editing software

and for what game?

Was it easy to use from the beginning or did you struggle hard

before finally getting the hang of it? Whatkind of levels did you create?

I know I'm not as oldschool as some of the pro's here, and I personally

remember my first "level editor" being the Warcraft 2 Editor.

It was relatively easy to use, although I was ~10 years old and my

English wasn't that good. I made tons of maps, most of them

we're really unbalanced maps where I had an army of knights etc. at

the beginning of the map. Although it was a simple 2d RTS editor,

it really sparked my passion for level editing/customizing.

Technically it was a per-pixel editor for Worms way back on the Amiga. Bloody hard to do though, let me tell you.

First FPS editor was, of course, Worldcraft.

If Stunts'strack designer counts as a level editor, then yes that was my first :D , although i dont map. But ya, it was fun trying all sort of weird loops and ramps and stuff. Good fun :D

I thought I was the only one! Making tracks for stunts was awesome!

But if you dont consider that an editor, then it would have to be the Duke Nukem 3d editor, from that to worldcraft/hammer, and now radiant, with a few inbetweens for rts'

If Stunts'strack designer counts as a level editor, then yes that was my first :D , although i dont map. But ya, it was fun trying all sort of weird loops and ramps and stuff. Good fun :D

I thought I was the only one! Making tracks for stunts was awesome!

But if you dont consider that an editor, then it would have to be the Duke Nukem 3d editor, from that to worldcraft/hammer, and now radiant, with a few inbetweens for rts'

Exactly the same line of editors I've used. Eerie :oops:

If it counts, then my first level editing software is probably the one for Stunts 4d, I can't remember if it was called anything special, but I doubt it. It was damn easy to use as it was it was all placement of prefabricated stuff. I was about 6-7 years old back then and did not really know english, so it was still a challenge though:D

Later on I made some maps for Red Alert and Starcraft before finally moving on to HL mapping with Worldcraft. Worldcraft caused me an insane amount of struggle in the beginning. I knew of no places to get help back then, so I was pretty much lost.

It really took off when I got involved on the Nuclearbox forum where The Carpenter and Soulfather were so kind to help me out with my mapping issues:)

Edit:

WTF, how many of you except me also started with Stunts?:D

bsp (or whatever it was called) for Quake2. I remember playing a custom map called dead by dawn and thinking HEY MAN, this.. me.. me.. making.. custom levels. This has to be a great idea, I mean, how hard can it be? Yeah, that worked out...

I gave up and then picked up editing seriously when HL was released (I bought the game to use the editor, strangely enough).

I think it was the level editor for a finnish 2D minigame called Tapan Kaikki, awesome game btw. Dunno if only finnish ones knows the game. Same thing goes with game called Liero. Gotta love those simple editors.

First FPS editor was, of course, Worldcraft.

My first must have been Wolf3d ed, you know, the notepad editor :).

Got a bunch of editors on a PC Review disk, I went as far as to make my own graphics for it, burgers and pizzas instead of health kits and that kinda shit. Other than that there were the countless unbalanced levels I made for Warcraft 2 and Red Alert, but the first one I really went all serious with was the Thief editor, although it was fairly hard to do anything totally playable. Soon after it was Half-Life and so on :)