Sign in to follow this  
sensee

inspired by hl2?

Some people would really love it to be inspired by HL2 for no other reason than they think HL2 is the best thing to ever happen ever.

It's an odd thing that happens when someone is so enthralled by something that when there is a similarity with something totally unrelated, it must be copy-catting.

There will probably be more people to see this movie than people who will ever play HL2 ever.

:P

It's an odd thing that happens when someone is so enthralled by something that when there is a similarity with something totally unrelated, it must be copy-catting.

Thats a good point actually, and one I've fallen foul of myself in the past. Dunno how many of you will have seen the anime movie "Patlabor", but on watching it about 3 years ago I was completely reminded of the PS1 turn-based strategy game "Front Mission 3". Scene after scene I was drawing comparisons, many of which were tenuous at best but my enthusiasm for Front Mission 3 made me make a big deal of them and read into the similarities far too much.

That said, I do still think there are some noteable similarities between that trailer and HL2, regardless of whether it is coincidence, or inspiration and influence from either camp.

I do agree that there are similarities, I just think that they are nothing more that coincidence. The human mind is prone to making connections where there are none, and has tendencies to highly over-exaggerate small similarities when there is no meaning behind them. We are pattern seeking animals.

I still think it is very possible that a set designer or concept artist or whatever has played the game and put some references in the movie.

You can't just say it's in the nature of dystopian movies/games to look like that.

I still think it is very possible that a set designer or concept artist or whatever has played the game and put some references in the movie.

You can't just say it's in the nature of dystopian movies/games to look like that.

why not?

why not?

because other dystopian movies/games look quite different.

there are many different kinds of dystopian settings and the resemblance between HL2 and "children of men" is quite striking.

coincidence? maybe, maybe not.

anyway we'll never know until somebody asks the guys who are responsible for the artistic direction of the movie.

one thing is for sure, this movie is gonna be awsome :D

Heh, yeah, that's another good point. HL2 itself has 'been inspired' by so many different sci-fi sources that it's pretty much impossible to attribute any themes and whatnot to it. Chances are that every single scene in HL2 has a visual counterpart in some other film or programme, no matter how obscure.

And I don't mean a coincidental counterpart.

Obviously, someone in the future invented a time machine, travelled back in time to visit everyone who ever made anything that would later resemble Half Life 2 and showed them the game, thus Half Life 2 is obviously the insipiration for every piece of entertainment that resembles it any way that came out before Half Life 2.