Sign in to follow this  
sensee

inspired by hl2?

I have no doubts this movie will be fantastic and a true classic that raising a bunch of questions of what it is that makes us human. Basically everything the story for Half Life 2 wasn't.

Someone was expecting a bit too much from their sci-fi FPS :P

Basically everything the story for Half Life 2 wasn't.

And that was my chief complaint from HL2...the story execution was not nearly as good as it was in HL1. I still liked HL2 a lot, and even liked the story, but again, it just didn't deliver the way it could have. So when curbed for technology evolution, I <3 HL. > I <3 HL2.

But back on topic...

Can't wait to see this one, sound or no sound playing in the trailer on this piece of dung computer im working on today.

I have no doubts this movie will be fantastic and a true classic that raising a bunch of questions of what it is that makes us human. Basically everything the story for Half Life 2 wasn't.

Well, no.

My point is you can't say this movie, that exists far above what HL2 managed to pull, ripped anything off from it.

Well, no.

My point is you can't say this movie, that exists far above what HL2 managed to pull, ripped anything off from it.

HL2 ripped off it's plot from random scraps of paper pulled out of George Lucas's trashcan.

That movie is adapted from a book by PD James from 1992. There are no aliens or robots. It is simply a great story about survival, and it doesn't hurt that Alfonso Cuaron is easily one of our most visually and story centric directors working today.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Here is some background on that book. I don't think this should spoil anything, but remember, I did not hear the sound from the trailer but the description of the book in the link below certainly jibes with what I watched in the trailer. Very interesting indeed!!!

Anyway, :-)

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pdj ... ldren.html

Uhm, well. Maybe some stuff what only happened in the movie or environments, who aren't made by the description in the book, are HL2 inspired. Lets be honest. When the pic below doesnt remind you of HL2, what else?

hl6ky1.jpg

Wfr, Sindwiller

Maybe its kind of like the DnD and LOTR thing. The LOTR movies were inspired by DnD art direction. Even tho many will say that DnD is inspired by LOTR (which is not really true as the creators found it boring and preferd things like Conan or Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Uhm, well. Maybe some stuff what only happened in the movie or environments, who aren't made by the description in the book, are HL2 inspired. Lets be honest. When the pic below doesnt remind you of HL2, what else?

hl6ky1.jpg

Wfr, Sindwiller

As a 13yr old, i cant blame you for thinking HL2 was the first to pull off this idea. But like MikeZ said, HL2 itself pulled its idea of various other books, and i myself have seen dozens of movies with cities controlled by somekinda military. Equilibrium, Absolon, the Siege, 1984, etc.

The picture is of a military force blocking of a city street. It happens in every war. The architecture in the background may remind you of HL2, but you have to remember that hl2 itself was inspired by European architecture: we didnt build our cities after hl2 ;)

Indeed it is unlikely that HL2 was any sort of influence on the movie, but the point is there are clear similarities. You don't need to have been influenced by something, or be ripping it off completely, for there to be similarities. Some people seem set on giving the dismissive "what?" attitude, like some asshole at a party determined to make others look like jerks when they knew fine well what the person was talking about. I find it completely unbelievable that anybody could look at this trailer, having played HL2, and not think there are some fairly remarkable similarities.

Really, those "inspired by HL2" stories are getting pretty rediculous now. This reminded me of HL2 just as "much" as Resident Evil: Apocalypse, 28 days later or the beginning of Unbreakable (there was a TRAIN, definately based on HL2), except these were made before HL2 if i remember right.

There is nothing new in post apocalyptic future like someone said already. That covers most of this stuff you see in the trailer. If that would happen, all of those things would definately be more than possible.

There is nothing new in desperate man in a train.

There is nothing new in a city like that.