Sign in to follow this  
Squirrelly

Half-Life 2: Custom Water Shaders

when i first read custom water shader i was mad exited the hl2 water shader doesnt do anything phenomenal that other games cant do (actual most games do the exact same stuff a second scene render + fersnel + distortion + volumetric fog below all on an animated normal map or on some scrollign normal layers) BUT that animted normal map from hl2 IS JUST SOOOOOOO DAMN GOOD !!!!!!!!

it looks 10 kabillion times better than what any other game has to offer ... when ever i see somthign like this i want to try to up the bar another notch and make an even cooler animated normal map but i just have absolutly no idea how make one that tiles properly so i toughed that you might have found the answer for me unfortunalty this screenshot shows that you have the same problem:

d1_canals_060002.jpg

seam on the left or not...

MAD KUDOS keep up the great work

he ment writie a 3d app plugin that generates seamless vertex animations/ fluid simulations that you can render afterwarts

so nice :cool:

only thing, the water moves quite fast, i dont know what kind of area it is but normal water doesn't move so mixed and fast,

but besides that i realy like it.

the water dudv maps for hl2 is definitely generated from some fluid gen tool (that they probably made themselves, dunno)

afaik there are free tools on the web to do this stuff. just try out different parameters.

Basically Half-Life 2 water is generated from 29 heightmaps, 29 DUDV maps, and 29 normal maps all compiled together and seamed. My version has 32 of each, so more frames. I basically started out with the heightmap creation in Photoshop (hand painted) which took me about a week to get perfect, as it was a bitch for it to be as seamless as possible. The next step was generating the DUDV and normal maps which took patience to get right except it was a lot easier than creating the heightmaps by hand. As I stated earlier, this is NOT a HLSL shader, but due to the fact it contains a DUDV map I personally like to call it a shader. :P

And the seam has been fixed! Like I said earlier, one of the normal map frames was missing in the compile but all is well now.