Sign in to follow this  
Polaris

Linux

???

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Change driver from "nv" to "nvidia". Thats it. Or when youre talking about the ATI-drivers, you need to know that the ATI-drivers suck ass.

Wfr, Sindwiller

see, what the hell is that? How should he know that? Updating drivers should be as simple as just running an updater or so and its done.

Linux is never goign to get popular if code is involved.. even if its just having to change 2 lines in some config file

And it was also definitely more complex than that...

???

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Change driver from "nv" to "nvidia". Thats it. Or when youre talking about the ATI-drivers, you need to know that the ATI-drivers suck ass.

Wfr, Sindwiller

see, what the hell is that? How should he know that? Updating drivers should be as simple as just running an updater or so and its done.

Linux is never goign to get popular if code is involved.. even if its just having to change 2 lines in some config file

And it was also definitely more complex than that...

When it was, than youre friend used Automatix and it messed something up. And UPDATING drivers can easily be done with the update manager. Also, you can install the package "nvidia-glx" trough the Ubuntu package manager or trough Synaptic (Synaptic is better though). Just need to search for nvidia-glx and you can install it. Updating is done automatic. And the configuration stuff gives you the controle of your whole system. Like, you dont want some modules who are loaded into X on start. You just outcomment 'em, finished.

Wfr, Sindwiller

last week my roommate installed the latest version of kubuntu on his brand new machine with one of those free cds you can get from the site. To install video drivers he had to go through a rough procedure of config files, console commands and asking questions and help on some irc channel.

???

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Wfr, Sindwiller

Hahaha. This thread is over. :D

When it was, than youre friend used Automatix and it messed something up. And UPDATING drivers can easily be done with the update manager. Also, you can install the package "nvidia-glx" trough the Ubuntu package manager or trough Synaptic (Synaptic is better though). Just need to search for nvidia-glx and you can install it. Updating is done automatic. And the configuration stuff gives you the controle of your whole system. Like, you dont want some modules who are loaded into X on start. You just outcomment 'em, finished.

Wfr, Sindwiller

Or...

Go to the site, download the .exe and run it.

As for disabling stuff, msconfig and voila.

This thread is over.

I have nothing to add to this discussion.

I just wanted to say, sindwiller, you scare me. Go throw a ball around, play soccer/futbol, ride a bike, scrape your knees, get dirty... GET OFF YOUR COMPUTER.

God damn. Anyone see that interview on Colbert Report with that lady who wrote the book about overachievers? Every time sindwiller speaks I just think of that interview.

..what the fuck?

I refuse to believe Sindwiller is 12...

I hope to god he isn't. But why would a grown man claim he was 12? It makes no sense. Then again a 12 year old linux freak programmer makes even less sense.

If he is a grown man pretending to be 12, he also needs to step the hell away from the keyboard. Maybe even go outside. You know, sunlight. Scary.

Yeah it is a bit saddening. When I think back to being 12 I think of a life free of troubles and going on daily bike rides through Sherwood Forest and various other stuff. Sitting on Linux forums and stuff arguing the finer points of the OS is about the most distant thing that could feasibly have been on my mind back then.

You're only young once Sindwiller. You have many years to bum around arguing about Linux ahead of you. :(

Second thing that pisses me off, Desktop, we have KDE, we have GNOME, we have blackbox, we have all the damn Desktop managers that when it comes down to it OFFER THE SAMN DAMN THING.

Maybe the same damn thing but in a different way. Or, how do you want to install KDE or GNOME on a low resource system? KDE or GNOME would work extremely jerky on a 500 mhz machine. Get XFCE or get a simple Window-Manager like Blackbox, Fluxbox (my favorite) or IceWM.

Thats what he means there are too many damn things that do the same thing.

..what the fuck?

I refuse to believe Sindwiller is 12...

I hope to god he isn't. But why would a grown man claim he was 12? It makes no sense. Then again a 12 year old linux freak programmer makes even less sense.

If he is a grown man pretending to be 12, he also needs to step the hell away from the keyboard. Maybe even go outside. You know, sunlight. Scary.

Sindwiller, when you are a grown man and actually have a career with programming or whatever the hell you want, then you can worry about all this stuff. Till then enjoy your youth. Do stupid kid things ffs.