Sign in to follow this  
Polaris

Linux

I have just tried it quickly, so i can't relly give my opinion tough. It seams like they have come pretty far tough, there are some nice desktops out there and some are even easy to install these days.

Everything i use is made for windows tough, the only use i guess would be for a server or something.

One thing i don't like about linux tough is how it handles and shows the harddrives, it makes me crazy. Maby there is one that shows them like windows does?

Maby there is one that shows them like windows does?

How do you think "show"? :? You mean, automount? Hotplugging is included in mostly all modern distribution tough. Or you mean the Firmware controle? :???: Well, the Firmare controle (those /dev/hda1 thingies :P) is made to handle very large amounts of space and harddisks. Also, linux partitions arent partitions like in Windows. Where you can only install windows on one partition, in Linux, you can make a partition for root /, /home (the home data), /usr (the program data and binaries), /opt (games and stuff), /usr/local (the program data itself), /boot (the boot data like Grub and Kernel stuff), /etc (configurationfiles) etc. So, for example. Youve got a root / and a /home partition. All stuff, who dont belongs in /home go's to the root partition, all /home stuff go's to the /home partition.

Wfr, Sindwiller

When i say show i mean like every partition or drive gets it's own letter like C, D etc.

Like ive said, there are first the firmware controles (/dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hdb2 etc.) and then the mounting points. Ive got my windows partition mounted automatically on boot. Also, ive gived the partition the mounting point /media/windows (or /mnt/windows on older distris) so the gnome-volume-manager (the little program who is responsible that external partitions mounted in /media or /mnt were displayed on the desktop, only in GNOME tough) gives the link of the partition-icon on the desktop the name "Windows". Thats neat :D

Wfr, Sindwiller

Linux and Windows are usually so similar these days anways. If anyone haven't tried linux yet, then you should grab some distro right away. A good starter choice is the ones with support for live cd's, where you don't have to install anything to test it.