Sign in to follow this  
Bic-B@ll

photosynth

new microsoft thing that does some real awesome stuff with pictures, great demo here:

http://videosift.com/story.php?id=6578

i'm just imagining what this can do when combined with a crawler that nips pics from webshots and flickr. imagine being able to fly around a building that you want to map and have thousands of pictures arranged on a 3d model so that you can fly to exactly what you want. has awesome potential. i've got about 500 pictures gathered for something i've been working on and it would be incredibly nifty if this could sew them all together for me

this application is built on some really cool tech, using the Windows Presentation Foundation which is really just a markup lang. You can build applications just like this one now with current MS CTPs

Is the 3d model automated, or do you have to create it yourself?

Somehow i think they created it themselves and took a bunch of panaramic pictures to make this tool seem useful. But i am just being negative :)

the guy speculated potential use. the model is supposedly automated, i guess they could have made it themselves for a demo because its uncompleted, but id hope it would it it itself once the product's done, at least with some suggestions as to placement.

i cant imagine how it could possibly create it all by itself.

There are algorithms who can manage that. You can google around for some papers. Its interesting. My opinion of that application is: it sucks! Why? It does not make any sense. For what should it be used? Digitalising architecture? Dont make me laugh.

Wfr, Sindwiller

i cant imagine how it could possibly create it all by itself.

There are algorithms who can manage that. You can google around for some papers. Its interesting. My opinion of that application is: it sucks! Why? It does not make any sense. For what should it be used? Digitalising architecture? Dont make me laugh.

Wfr, Sindwiller

It looks like a tool that bewildered housewifes would be stunned by.

If there are such algorithms that can make 3d out of 2d, then this program would be worth gold, but i suspect you have to do some work yourself before it can work

it doesnt actually make a 3d model, but it arranges the photos in 3d so that you can fly around in them, its a great way to manage pictures like the clock thing, you could just fly to it instead of sifting through a directory of pictures to find one. not to mention that if it were combined with a crawler it would make finding ither people's pictures infinitely easier.

Really fascinating stuff. I don't see much real world practical use for it beyond idle diversion, but that is a really, really interesting project. I'm glad people are putting computers and the wealth of distributed data on the internet to use with such noble intentions.

i see big real world potential for it

- for interested travellers to get a better impression of a place before they go there

- for architects and students to study buildings/architecture in a more interactive way

- for archeologist/students to visualize/study places