Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)

RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista

HDD: 6GB

Internet: 256k+

Optical Drive: DVD

Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

and

Recommended Requirements

CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)

Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent

RAM: 1.5Gb

HDD: 6GB

Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)

Optical Drive: DVD

Software: DX10 with Windows Vista

so my question to you (friechamp or narby) are, What kinda monster computers do you have and test Crysis on? Interesting to know since I think that will be the next game to have in mind when upgrading my comp

DX10

Well, DX10 might be the best DX of all time. Besides, DX sucks just because its only clamped to one platform. And DX10 is clamped to only one version of this platform: Windows Vista. Thats a reason enough, to throw DX away. Now.

On the other mind, DX has the ugliest code available. Even the GTK-API looks much better and is easier to learn than the DX-API.

Wfr, Sindwiller

I like DirectX (<3 D3DX), but Microsoft's usually bullishness about wiping out its competitors through brute force rather than the strength of their product is getting old (e.g. refusing to support OpenGL, forcing people to use extensions and then trying to make life even more awkward for OpenGL with Vista). It remains to be seen whether OpenGL will crawl with Vista (due to MS forcing OpenGL to run indirectly), or whether MS will do anything to make it run properly. There were rumours that OpenGL will basically die when Vista comes out, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I thought crysis was going to be a vista exclusive game? One of the reasons to get people to upgrade, no ?

Crysis looks real cool and those speculated specs would surely be cool but if it requires vista Ill skip the game.

Im going to boycott vista as well. I dont want to be forced to things, loose a lot of valuable pc power to complete crap, be spied on and gain nothing in terms of productivity.

You haven't answered my question, What kinda comps do you have on Crytek, I wanted to know what to look for when upgrading comp. Btw it was Alan Wake that were vista exclusive

i might speak from my experiences at other developer studios:

not everyone has powerfull computer that are the current benchmark leads. as you might calculate: offering a high end machine for 2500$ to each employee that would make 375000$ to 150 employees. after 6 months there will be even more speed avaible in new graphics cards and CPUs. so that wouldnt make sense because publishers cant print money.

what do the companies do? actually most will buy a few newer computers and give them to selected artists programmers or leveldesigners or what ever. if anyone's computer has slower components in his working machine he will change some stuff buy extracting from the now _old_ avaible computer.

it shouldnt surprise you that some artists might work on computers where the game isnt even runable on. as long as 3d software runs everything is fine.

so i would not wonder if a lot of crytek or any other companies computers were just like yours at home. maybe even not that fast at all.