Sign in to follow this  
Steppenwolf

Awesome movies (no mainstream)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

A petty thief posing as an actor is brought to Los Angeles for an unlikely audition and finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation along with his high school dream girl and a detective who's been training him for his upcoming role...

This was such a great movie, comedy, drama, the works.

Hooligans (2005)

Unjustly expelled from Harvard, Matt moves to London to live with his sister and her husband Steve. He is quickly introduced to Steve's chirpy, cock-sure younger brother Pete and his football hooligan friends. Initially afraid of the violence, Matt soon ends up becoming as desensitized to it as his new found friends. Eventually suspicion, shocking revelations and unsettled scores combine to a devastating climax where London's most fierce football rivals- Millwall and West Ham United- are set to go head to head.

Another good movie. We actually watched these back to back and were amazed that we picked two winners.

The Tin Drum

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078875/

Danzig in the 1920s/1930s. Oskar Matzerath, son of a local dealer, is a most unusual boy. Equipped with full intellect right from his birth he decides at his third birthday not to grow up as he sees the crazy world around him at the eve of World War II. So he refuses the society and his tin drum symbolizes his protest against the middle-class mentality of his family and neighborhood, which stand for all passive people in Nazi Germany at that time. However, (almost) nobody listens to him, so the catastrophe goes on...

a weird flick :???:

This movie is great! a classic!

The Life of David Gale

The story follows a University of Austin professor, Dr. David Gale, an advocate for the abolishment of capital punishment, who is falsly convicted of rape and murder of another activist. He suddenly finds himself on death row. The film is told in flashbacks with a female reporter interviewing Gale.

There's something about this movie that I like alot.

I have seen the tin drum, its nice but a bit too weird to be classic.

At least for me it is one. Though the movie is 27 years old it is still one of the most mentioned films on german media and i watch it everytime it is on TV.

The Life of David Gale

The story follows a University of Austin professor, Dr. David Gale, an advocate for the abolishment of capital punishment, who is falsly convicted of rape and murder of another activist. He suddenly finds himself on death row. The film is told in flashbacks with a female reporter interviewing Gale.

There's something about this movie that I like alot.

Yeah I saw that one too. Kevin Spacey is one of my favourite actors :D

SPOORLOOS

(aka the vanishing, theres an american remake with the same name but that sucks unbelievably)

10mra6.jpg

An absolutely chilling, deeply unsettling horror masterpiece

The Vanishing is a movie only those with ice in their veins can ever forget. The direction is absolutely brilliant, from the opening frames until the very end. I felt Saskia's fright when she thought she lost Rex initially, and her description of her dream made me feel chills. When she disappeared, Rex's combination of rage, frustration, anxiety, and grief was torture to watch. A particularly powerful moment was when he slammed the car door shut so hard the window crumbled into pieces.

Watching Rex become consumed in every way by his quest to find Saskia was also extremely difficult to watch, although it was certainly inevitable. I found the professor's description of his actions appalling in many cases, the most notable one being when he fixates on Saskia and we see his POV. Seeing Saskia warmly respond to him was devastating, knowing what would happen. Throughout the film there was an overwhelming sense of doom and isolation, like this was a cruel world where even in the most idyllic settings evil lurked everywhere and attempting to fight it was futile. Rex undergoes one of the most harrowing emotional ordeals of any movie character ever, and when he is at the end of his rope his crucial decision would seem so insane out of context but viewers understand that it really is his only choice. The shock ending, especially the way it was done, almost made me scream, and I will never forget the final shot. The Vanishing could be shown in any film class on direction, as an example of perfection. Material that could have been turned into just a mediocre thriller with would have seemed like a lame twist was turned by George Sluizer into an utterly harrowing filmgoing experience. And that is the right word, because a movie like The Vanishing is not just watched-it is experienced.

I estimate I have seen around 700 movies in my life, and horror is my favorite genre. I have only seen two films that left me so scared that after they ended I couldn't even move. One was Psycho, which I saw 10 years ago when I was only 12. The other one was just this year-The Vanishing.

Requiem For A Dream is fucking horrible. Yikes. Wathed it at the worst possible time. Awesome film, but so nasty.

There is a very decent Welsh film about the First World War abouta bloke named Hedd Wyn. It's kind of incomprehensible, even with subs, because you have to know about Eisteddfods and all that shit, but still a good film, nominated fo an Oscar if brains serves.