Sign in to follow this  
Steppenwolf

Awesome movies (no mainstream)

I'm always searching for cool movies that not everybody knows. This is the thread to post quality foreign, independant or underground movies.

I recently watched these three movies and they are all Masterpieces!

Oldboy

South Korean movie about a guy who was kidnapped for 15 years in a room without windows and only a TV and who wants revenge. Absolutely awesome. Gets 10/10 from me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Also a south korean movie from the same director as Oldboy. It's a complex story about vengeance. Very weird, cool and brutal movie. Gets also 10/10 points from me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310775/

The Machinist

Spanish movie with Christian Bale. Its about a psychotic guy who hasnt sleeped for over a year. Gets 9/10 points from me. 10/10 for Christian Bale's acting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/

Brick

Odd little movie that serves as an homage to old film noir while in a high-school setting, the detective movie dialogue and plot are completely out of place in the location its set which makes it feel very surreal and almost Shakespear (and occassionally hilarious imo).

The Happiness of the Katakuris

Crazy Japanese film by the god of crazy Japanese films - Takashi Miike. Front of the box says "Love. Music. Horror. Volcanos", and if that doesn't have you sold then you're probably not the sort who would enjoy the movie. Silly clay animation, family camaraderie, zombie dances, and probably a whole lot more that I've forgotten.

The Warrior

Fantastic Korean film. If you like your movies to have big fight scenes, impossible odds, self sacrifice, and a varied cast of characters, then this is for you. Think Crouching Tiger meets Seven Samurai and you're not too far off. One of my personal favourites.

Taxi, Taxi 2 (and probably Taxi 3)

Ignore what was, I assume, a shitty American remake - these French movies are great fun. Over the top driving silliness with quirky humour. "Unlikely couple" buddy movie in the same vein as Lethal Weapon or Rush Hour, and in many ways inferior to both of those series, but they have merit and some genuinely classic moments. Considering here in the UK it costs about £5 to get the first two movies in a double pack, they are well worth hunting down. Sadly the third film hasn't made it out here in the UK yet, but given that the trailer I saw appears to feature rollerbladers, maybe that is for the best :D

Infernal Affairs

The first part of a big budget Hong Kong crime trilogy pitting an undercover cop who has infiltrated the triads against a young triad who joined the police force. Stylish movie, great ending, and great characters. And lets face it, who doesn't love Tony Leung? Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt are starring in the American remake - something tells me you should catch the original instead!

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Stylish French action film about a monster terrorising the French countryside, and the two men sent to kill it. Cool fight scenes featuring lots of weapons from Soul Calibur - including Ivy's chain sword :) Been a while since I've watched this, but I'm gonna have to do it again soon me thinks.

Casshern

The first half of this movie is awesome, but it kinda drags as you get further into it. Almost entirely blue screened, there are some really neat visuals in this film, and it's style alone makes it worth checking out.

Eraserhead

David Lynch's first film. Although it's fairly well known, it's not mainstream. Follows a character through his troubles with his girlfriend while he lives in what appears to be a post-nuclear contaminated wasteland. There's much more to it obiviously but that's the plot outline.

The one that got away

Based on a true story about a squad of 7 commandos in Iraq trying to destroy a SCUD launch site behind enemy lines. They all get killed or caught, one gets away walks a couple thousand miles and wipes out the entire iraqi army.

Bad Boys 2 - Dudes destroy this shanty town full of people by driving their hummers through it.

You forgot that they throw dead bodies after dudes as they're driving a van

Two german movies, both with Daniel Brühl and two of my favourite movies.

The Edukators (Die Fetten Jahre sind vorbei)

Berlin student Jule is hoplessly indebted due to an accident she caused, uninsuredly hitting a rich businessman's limousine. Evicted from her flat she moves in with her boyfrend Peter and soon learns that Peter and his flatmate, Jan, are breaking into luxurious mansions at night. Instead of stealing or vandalizing, though, they carefully and ornately rearrange furniture and valulables and leave obscure messages. Jule convinces Jan, who has a crush on her, to pay a visit to the villa of her creditor.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408777/

Good Bye Lenin!

East Germany, the year 1989: A young man protests against the regime. His mother watches the police arresting him and suffers a heart attack and falls into a coma. Some months later, the GDR does not exist anymore and the mother awakes. Since she has to avoid every excitement, the son tries to set up the GDR again for her in their flat. But the world has changed a lot...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/

Kopps http://imdb.com/title/tt0339230/

When a small town police station is threatened with shutting down because of too little crime, the police realise that something has to be done...

euro version of super troopers, funny flick.

The City of Lost Children http://imdb.com/title/tt0112682/

A scientist in a surrealist society kidnaps children to steal their dreams, hoping that they slow his aging process.

crazy french movie with crazy sets with ron perlman

The Devil's Backbone http://imdb.com/title/tt0256009/

A boy arrives at a haunted orphange during the spanish civil war.

japanese style horror in spanish with lord of the flies type action.

Bad Boys 2 - Dudes destroy this shanty town full of people by driving their hummers through it.

no mainstream :shock:

Bad Boys 2 was an independent film. :wink: But fine, i'll play by the rules.

Slamnation - an excellent look into the world of slam poetry and it's national competition. Some great performances pieces and some big egos.

The War Room - A documentary about the 1992 Bill Clinton presidential campaign. If you want to get an insight about how campaigns are run and the chaos surrounding them, check it out. It's not so much about Clinton as it is his campaign managers.

Hotel Rwanda - Great movie about what happened during the Rwandan genocide. It will depress you like nothing else, but it is still very good.

Requiem For a Dream

The hopes and dreams of four ambitious people are shattered when their drug addictions begin spiraling out of control.

Pi

A paranoid mathematician searches for a key number that will unlock the universal patterns found in nature.