[D3 SP] Lost Facility

BJA

I added some more screenshots for those who don't have doom3 installed...that should be about 90% of you guys here :D

The interiors look good but the buildings in the outdoor shot have bland texturing.

yes that's right...but I didn't want to create extra textures for that outdoor area because you wouldn't see them at all with all that fog. Besides this area was only built for the intro cinematic...

Reminds me of AvP2..

why do I hear that all the time ? :D I had lot of games/movies in mind when making this map...but I never thought of Alien versus Predator.

ok, thanks for all the comments and nice words...I really appreciate that.

If someone has doom3 installed or the chance to play this map, I would be really interested in what you think about the gameplay (item placement, combat situations, sound...). Just tell me what you thought was good or what you didn't like, so I can improve those things in the next map.

-BJA-

amazing. Concrete does wonders

yeah, especially when you're not a great texture artist (like me :D) but anyhow want to create a different look. Making some concrete textures is really way easier than making something like tech stuff.

-BJA-

Well I just got done with it.

In terms of general design and looks, it was fantastic, nice to see something that doesn't look like every other D3 level out there. However gameplay wise I found it really boring, same old Doom 3 monsters, audio files etc just ruined the atmosphere of it being something non-D3 imho, the battle with Sarge made me sigh, been there.. done that! I also found it pretty hard at times, but that might just of been me sucking ass :P

I found a few things that I thought you should see:

lf01.jpg

I think you spelt 'Recycling' wrong ;)

lf02.jpg

Just a small thing, easily fixed though.

lf03.jpg

I jumped down there to see if I can any hidden pickups and then down to the ground expecting to die but I didn't, best put a death trigger in there...

lf04.jpg

The door at the beginning of the first map needs locking so it doesn't open into nothing :P

The outside area was really well done, but I agree with everyone else about the fog, it really doesn't blend with the sky very well.

[edit]Oh the caution signs in the outside area on the fences are transparent which looks odd, I forgot to take a screenshot of this so I hope you know what I mean :roll:

lf03.jpg

I jumped down there to see if I can any hidden pickups and then down to the ground expecting to die but I didn't, best put a death trigger in there...

Odd, I died when I attempted the drop :shock:

But, I agree with d3ads on the sarge battle. If i'm not mistaken, it was the exact same level just pulled from Doom, which actually suprised me, because up until that point the maps were original and well designed. :cry:

I'd suggest maybe keeping sarge, but redoing the area you fight him in, much more forgivable in my opinion.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. Some clever battles with enemies and fun areas to play in. Good stuff.

However gameplay wise I found it really boring, same old Doom 3 monsters, audio files etc just ruined the atmosphere of it being something non-D3 imho,

Did you find it boring, because of always fighting against the same enemytpyes ? or what exactly do you mean with boring ?

This is just a map and no tc mod ;) making new audio files or adding new monster would have taken another 6 months I guess.

Thanks for your little bugreport !

Recycling is spelt right, but because of the space between the "l" and the "i" it looks a bit weird.

If you jump down in picture 3 you should die because there is a death trigger...strange.

And yes, I've forgotten to lock the door at the beginning of the second part :D

But, I agree with d3ads on the sarge battle. If i'm not mistaken, it was the exact same level just pulled from Doom, which actually suprised me, because up until that point the maps were original and well designed. Crying or Very sad

It's basically the same room...that's why I didn't show any screenshots of that area, because that area wasn't made from scratch. The 4 pillars and the ceiling model were taken from the original d3 level. I changed the lighting, texturing and fightbalance a bit.

Thanks again for feedback :)

I found the gameplay boring because it was the same old monsters, I wouldn't care if it was just 'another generic D3 level ' but it wasn't because you've obviously proceeded with something original- so it was annoying. If you maybe reskin the enemies and give them new sounds (easily done without any new code), it would be excellent, something to think about next time.

You know if you decide to do another D3 project I'd be more than happy to help you out a bit, like with texturing, skins and audio...

[edit]I retried that 'drop' part and there still wasn't a death trigger, I don't get it :oops:

I found the gameplay boring because it was the same old monsters, I wouldn't care if it was just 'another generic D3 level ' but it wasn't because you've obviously proceeded with something original- so it was annoying. If you maybe reskin the enemies and give them new sounds (easily done without any new code), it would be excellent, something to think about next time.

You know if you decide to do another D3 project I'd be more than happy to help you out a bit, like with texturing, skins and audio...

[edit]I retried that 'drop' part and there still wasn't a death trigger, I don't get it :oops:

Strange...there`s definitely a death trigger. Are you sure you didn`t play in god mode ? :D