Sign in to follow this  
Spellbinder

A couple of questions.

So i have wanted to do some texture for a long time and even made a few shots at it which no one worked out good. And if i look for texture tutorial all i find is how you make sand or liquid and sush, not how to take a reference picture and make it into a texture for games like HL and stuff. So heres some questions i hoped to get answered.

1.What size should i do textures in? And does it matter if the reference picture is in another size? And if it is, should i resize before i make the texture or after?

2.Whats the best way to make the seems to dissaper? I have heard healingbrush which i tryied and got best result so far, clone tool which i tried with dissaterous result or dodge tool which i also tried with the same result as clone tool. Or is it that i just use the wrong reference picture at start making it hard on me? Or is it that it is very tidious work that takes hour to do for 1 texture?

3.What kind of texture would be the easiest to start with, so i can get into the technuiqe and stuff at first.

4.Finally how importent is it that when i offset the reference picture the seems ends up exactly in the middle, i mean does it have to exactly spot on? Or is it ok if i miss a couple of pixels right-left and up-down.

Thx in advance.

Ok heres an example of what i thought i would come up with something good. And it turns out it quite francly sucks. When i was working with it and tok away the seems i was like hell yeah they dissapere. But the end result..............well look for you self.

evha1stvu2.jpg

Any suggestion. More then i probably dont should be messing with this.

[edit]As a matter of fact the seems doesnt shows but the edges when it tiles looks like seems over again.[/edit]

1. Textures these days should be minimal 512x512, ideally 1024x1024 and best 2048x2048 and hey, if you can go higher then that its never a bad thing. Your textures will still be usefull in a few years like that + they can also be used for cg renderings and all of that stuff.

The size of the ref picture does not matter but you obviously dont want to scale it up too much. A 450 res ref pic is not going to do for a 1024 res texture.

You scale it down after you're down with the texture

2.Clone and heal are just fine and they are the most used things. If the texture has clear shapes such as a brickwall has (=the bricks) it can help a lot to manually select certain bricks and copy paste them to lay them over the seam.

3. Your stone wall is not easy. Your stucco is. Textures that dont have clear shapes or patern are simplest. Stucco, grass, sand and so on. Rock on the other hand has a clear patern, as has brick, roofs, and so on.

4. Its not important because the offsetting is only used for your own help and once in game no one is going to notice how far it has ever been offsetted to allow seam-killing. If you miss a couple of spots you might obviously see seams in the final texture and you dont want that.

Youll always have tiling, live with it. The first texture does has quite obvious tiling though. Try to lighten darker areas and the other way around to get it equal. When you look for ref pics or take them yourself look out for any clear patern in it, if it has a clear patern forget it already. If you take a ref pic of sand and theres a tree branch on the sand youre never going to be able to turn it in a good texture unless the branch is small enough to be photoshopped off.

There are also things like Macrotexturing to fight tiling

1.What size should i do textures in? And does it matter if the reference picture is in another size? And if it is, should i resize before i make the texture or after?

some say you should work with the true size of the texture, i.e. if you want to make a 1024x1024, you should work with that size from the beginning.

some say it's better to work with 2x the final size.

I say keep the size of your (cutted) reference photo and resize at the end.

2.Whats the best way to make the seems to dissaper? I have heard healingbrush which i tryied and got best result so far, clone tool which i tried with dissaterous result or dodge tool which i also tried with the same result as clone tool. Or is it that i just use the wrong reference picture at start making it hard on me? Or is it that it is very tidious work that takes hour to do for 1 texture?

there are many many different techniques for making a texture seamless. it depends on the material. a brickwall requires a different technique than a grass texture. check google for tutorials.

and yes it does take hours to make texture and sometimes it is tendious work.

3.What kind of texture would be the easiest to start with, so i can get into the technuiqe and stuff at first.

as I said, there isn't ONE technique for making textures.

4.Finally how importent is it that when i offset the reference picture the seems ends up exactly in the middle, i mean does it have to exactly spot on? Or is it ok if i miss a couple of pixels right-left and up-down.

it's not important at all. just don't forget to write down your offset values, so you can "re-offset" the texture later.

A second try. Same, i think the seem (red arrows) are pretty much gone, but when i tile it i get new seems (blue arrows)

you get those seams when you use bicubic resampling for resizing. "nearest neighbor" is better in most cases. if you still want to use bicubic you can get rid of those seams by flattening all your layers and then copy the final layer 2 or 3 times.

you get those seams when you use bicubic resampling for resizing. "nearest neighbor" is better in most cases. if you still want to use bicubic you can get rid of those seams by flattening all your layers and then copy the final layer 2 or 3 times.

Aha! That's my learning done for today. I was wondering why I kept getting shitty seams showing up when I resized my textures.

In addition to the above:

Careful with that feather setting, Eugene. I copy paste stuff like Hourences said (works nicely instead of cloning sometimes) but to do this it generally involves turning feathering on. Always make sure you turn it back off afterwards because I have a terrible habit of copy pasting stuff for details & overlays while feathering is still on, so I get a horrible border on the overlay layer :(

Most importantly, check out this tutorial (and specifically the use of fade high pass in luminosity mode): http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010523/hajba_01.htm (registration required, but it is an excellent tutorial and also has some additional things that are useful). This is the stuff that will greatly reduce the problems you have with the repeating as opposed to any seam problems.

yeah when ever i get those edges i press

ctrl j

ctrl e

ctrl j

ctrl e

ctrl j

ctrl e

ctrl j

ctrl e

ctrl j

ctrl e

and they're gone

i've found this to be one of the best texture tutorials:

http://www.twisted-strand.com/ut_tutori ... index.html

mike made a nice one on tiling:

http://www.mapcore.net/forums/viewtopic ... 2&start=15

the link above is real good too, there is a login on http://www.bugmenot.com for the site

1. Textures these days should be minimal 512x512, ideally 1024x1024 and best 2048x2048 and hey, if you can go higher then that its never a bad thing. Your textures will still be usefull in a few years like that + they can also be used for cg renderings and all of that stuff.

The size of the ref picture does not matter but you obviously dont want to scale it up too much. A 450 res ref pic is not going to do for a 1024 res texture.

512, yes. 1024, perhaps (if it has Normal/specular be careful how much you use it), 2048 is still too high.

In half a year time we are in 2007. 512 was the standard in 2003. 2048 does slowly become the standard, 1024 already is.

Its never bad making your tex too big you know. Makes them last longer, serve more purposes and could improve the quality.

Normal/Spec map does influence it but its dependant on your situation and (re)use of those extra maps.

512 is still pretty standard now, though, until we get the *real* next-gen games like UT2007 and Crysis. It's better to practice on smaller maps I'd say, because it's far more efficient. If you can make a 256X256 with 4 floor tiles on it look just as cool as a 512X512 with 16 floor tiles, all the better. I've yet to see lots of 2048's in a game - textures that size are usually used on characters or really large map objects, not world textures.

making a 2048x2048 texture from a single photo source is gonna be difficult since most digital cameras can't keep up anymore with that size.

i'm not saying it's impossible and it's probably gonna happen, but it's a hell of a lot of work for those poor texture artists.

Thanks a lot for all input guys. Here is one that i made following one of the tuts. I know it sucks, but i think it shows improvement from the first one, so if there is improvement for every new i do i am hopefull.

Dont boughter about the bottom, it was ok untill i made an error and stupid me didnt have an backup :(

maybeik3.jpg

[edit]Its still a bit repetive aswell but lot less then first one.[/edit]