Sign in to follow this  
Fletch

Half Life Speed Video

anyone else think that it's completely ridiculous that valve still hasnt learned how to clip off a fucking sky let alone rooftops that shouldnt be accessible? i mean what the fuck, you could (can you still?) stand inside a fucking tree in cs_office. that bullshit is amateur.

does the guy in this video tau jump? I remember watching another where the guy did tau jump (bypassed the whole dam area) - but I don't remember tau jump working in single player, but just death match.

(just checked, yeah it doesn't let you jump with it in single player, it just has a tiny bit of recoil)

I just saw that HL2 again that bic posted. Saw it long ago and didnt remember it all. Some times it looks like he is surfing on different stuff like a piece of wood for example. Whats up with that? Is that really possible without any cheat? Also some of the jumps like over the square is really ridiculous. I mean it cant be that hard to do a game fast if your allowed to jump straight through a whole level.

I mean it cant be that hard to do a game fast if your allowed to jump straight through a whole level.

That's why the whole thing is retarded. It's not a proper speed run. You're not playing the game when: you use an exploit to skip past several levels (at least with mario the warp zones were secrets); and you mod the game to change functions. See previous post for tau cannon questioning.

I watched the first 11 minutes and I didn't see any hackery whatsoever. If you want to see 'real' gameplay then why are you commenting on speedruns? The object of a speedrun is to get from A to B by whatever means possible short of noclipping or using other cheats. If it's a map bug (like pressing the button through the glass to trigger the fire) then so what, it's fair game.

does the guy in this video tau jump? I remember watching another where the guy did tau jump (bypassed the whole dam area) - but I don't remember tau jump working in single player, but just death match.

(just checked, yeah it doesn't let you jump with it in single player, it just has a tiny bit of recoil)

the tau jump works in solo, but not on the Z axis, so he's using the speed given by the gauss to jump on ramps. Also the video isn't in one only part but that's still amazing :-D

Remember that the default compile tools for HL didn't have -skyclip as an option. That was added by Zoner much later. Valve wouldn't have gone back and recompiled the entire game because tht would have made the patch size ridiculous.

the tau jump works in solo, but not on the Z axis, so he's using the speed given by the gauss to jump on ramps. Also the video isn't in one only part but that's still amazing :-D

I tested the tau cannon on the first xen level. one of the low gravity levels. even with the low gravity of the level, when i jumped and released the tau charge, it barely moved me. yet the guy manages to jump 50 feet vertically into the air.

Remember that the default compile tools for HL didn't have -skyclip as an option. That was added by Zoner much later. Valve wouldn't have gone back and recompiled the entire game because tht would have made the patch size ridiculous.

i was mainly referring to hl2

I tested the tau cannon on the first xen level. one of the low gravity levels. even with the low gravity of the level, when i jumped and released the tau charge, it barely moved me. yet the guy manages to jump 50 feet vertically into the air.

He propels himself off slopes. You can see it clearly in the dam area, he isnt flying straight up

He propels himself off slopes. You can see it clearly in the dam area, he isnt flying straight up

Well I didn't get to watch this one, i watched parts of the first half, but switched to full screen, and it restarted the video. but since youtube doesn't let you skip ahead and resume downloading where you skip to (unlike google video), i didn't want to rewait for the video to download.

but the other speed demo i mentioned, there was a bit of vertical tau jumping, against a completely vertical concrete wall.

anyone else think that it's completely ridiculous that valve still hasnt learned how to clip off a fucking sky let alone rooftops that shouldnt be accessible? i mean what the fuck, you could (can you still?) stand inside a fucking tree in cs_office. that bullshit is amateur.

spend weeks of mapping + playtesting and thousands of dollars just to fix some leaks that a few speedrun nerds might exploit? :roll: