Nightwatch Cancelled!

Ginger Lord

http://www.hl-nightwatch.net/devdiaries.php?id=32

Can someone translate this or sum it up?

For example:

The inevitability of these problems can probably be traced to the lack of accountability intrinsic to a non-commercial online project, and could be indicative of a certain upper boundary on what can realistically be done under these conditions. In this respect, Nightwatch's situation is both common and unique, in that the eventual problems were hardly new or unprecedented, and yet I am aware of no other modification which has come so far only to be felled by this type of issue.

For somebody whose mother language is not English or has an MIT degree that whole post is hard to decipher :(

heh yea. reading is newsposts is quite funny :) too bad but the release of hl2 started the slow death of hlnw. i wouldnt have expected a source version at all though. nw lived from all the great leveldesigners and artists but no one wants to fall behind in the run for new tech.

eyes were bigger than their stomaches. Switching to source should never have been attempted as they would have had to have spent another 2 years making it look acceptable.

The hl1 content lookd phenominal and the should've stuck that that.

Moral of the story is that sometimes you need to know when to quit moving the goal posts and just ship the damn thing.

I honestly hope they'll think of open sourcing some of the maps/textures/resources if for no other reason than to show aspiring community members some examples of SP design.

I honestly hope they'll think of open sourcing some of the maps/textures/resources if for no other reason than to show aspiring community members some examples of SP design.

Damn yeah, I would even consider making myself a HLDM map with those hot textures.

Staying with HL1 wasn't much of an option either. We/They were hemorrhaging staff like crazy, and no one wanted to work with old tech anymore (except some of the mappers) I think it's very easy to say "they should have stuck with HL1" but that wasn't very realistic either. Dead either way, except there was a hope for new life in Source that never came to pass.