What would you pay for a book on leveldesign?

Hourences

How much would you pay for a book on level design  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for a book on level design

• Less than 20$ (=16 euro)
    • Around 20$ (=16 euro)
    • Around 30$ (=24 euro)
    • Around 40$ (=32 euro)
    • Around 50$ (=40 euro)
    • Around 60$ or higher (=48 euro)

No it's not released. 30 Euros for me. Because 30 euros should be a reasonable price for a reasonably sized book. Because let's face it, the more "next gen" we get, the less the same person will do everything. With that in mind, there will be large portions of any huge book covering everything that won't ever be used by the purchaser.

Bottom line I'd rather 5 persons bought a 30 euros book each than 2 persons buying one 50 euros one and not using half of the book because all they care about is some specific aspect of game development. And I'm ready to bet publishers will also prefer my own choice :)

I'd pay £25-30 (I think that's about 40-50 euros?) for a good book. The most I've paid for a book is £30 for game programming gems 1. I likely wouldn't pay more for a level design book regardless of its quality.

Most of the LD books I've seen / heard about have a scattered/ramshackle quality to them. I was asked to write something for one book (which I won't name, but it's none of the books mentioned in this thread), but the payment on offer was paltry compared to the time it'd take me to actually write what was required (think minimum wage, then slice it in half, then probably cut another bit off). If that sort of approach is taken when writing books, then IMO the quality won't be too high (as if the money was totally worthless from a student's pov, then why would a professional person with 100x more experience than me want to write an article for one?)

I'd definitely pay good money for a focussed, methodical and valuable insight into level design, though. I.e. if Hourences or any other experienced pro wrote a book on LD, I'd probably buy it. These types of book seem to be very rare. Most of the books you tend to see are (as mentioned ^ up there) very scattered and more like "hey dudes you can make a train, choo choo LOL!", or just so basic that it's not worth reading.

best of luck with it regardless.

Something I think would actually make for an interesting read would be doing case studies on popular levels from multiple genres (SP, DM, Teamplay, etc) to show what does and does not work from a gameplay perspective.

Could you possibly have some extra content, such as the case studies Fletch mentioned, on a disc? That might increase it's appeal for little extra cost. I'm fairly certain that CD's are cheaper to produce than print. But then again that has drawbacks as well I guess :\

id prefer to buy a book that explains the fundamentals of level design. with other books in the series that tailor towards a specific engine.

The Mastering Unreal was great for a quick reference, but it lacked any good level design documentation, since it was geared towards learning the engine, not creating great maps.

I know a bit of "this" stuff :)

Ofcourse there are always certain things that one day will be oudated. For example lighting demanding a different approach (simple game lighting vs complete and fully working radiosity/GI lighting) but the majority of things will always be the same. You dont make a cubic building now and you are not going to make one in 10 years. Itll always look bad.

The only problem I might face are outdated pictures.

The book wont be aimed at a specific engine so the last few people should be happy:)

A cd would be nice but also demands a lot of extra work + its hard if your book is not aimed at a specific engine. For what engine should I make the example content?...

And printing and distributing a cd = 5/6 dollar. So thats 48+6=54 dollar already.

The thing about the free info on the internet - it's scattered and is usually of low quality and results will vary (plus after a few months, any pictures will probably end up being broken when for whatever reason the site hosting the tutorial has the user who sumbmitted the tutorial host the images off-site... i still don't understand that). If the book was detailed, complete, and well written (quality), it could be worth the buy -- if you haven't already learned most of what's in it.

The outdated info can also be placed on internet resources - just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it'll always be kept up to date.

You could try to just come up with a good curriculum for game developer schools, they might license it from you. This way you arent' waiting on books to sell, you are just getting in contact with people at schools and finding out whether or not they like it sooner (right?). Of course if that doesn't work, go with the book idea :D