DODS_Zutzendorf (name will change)

OrnateBaboon

dod_zutzendorf03.jpg

dod_zutzendorf01.jpg

dod_zutzendorf02.jpg

dod_zutzendorf04.gif

Started playing DOD for the first time a couple of months ago, and am enjoying it immensely. Decided to start making a map for it, in between other stuff. The name will eventually change. I have made a layout, and have started to try and get some sort of theme going, though it is not quite there yet. Areas shown are the spawn points. Will probably break the town up a little, though that will depend on how the detailing goes, and how much time I have. Begun to make a lighthouse (like the one in the pic) for the back of the beach spawn.

Currently I have made 6 different buildings, all from "Old Frech town" pics in Google, so many of the buildings look very similar at the moment. Map doesn't have HDR or cubemaps built due to the Hammer error. Constructive criticism appreciated.

hey man,

its really nice i like the style of it, one thing im alitle worried about are the really tight streets im alitle afraid of bad chokepoints from the looks of it,

also a visual thing that really stands out are the weird use of the chimney's, i would sink them into the bsp or make a nice litle edge between the transitions so it doesnt look as pasted on,

besides the above, nice quality :banjo:

Yes, I was worried about the chimneys. I should add a small trim or something between the bricks and the top part. The areas shown are the spawn points, so no fighting will take place here. There are two exits from each spawn, so hopefully there will be enough space to move about in. Come to think of it, maybe the beach front steps are too tight for a whole team to storm up.

Thanks for the criticism.

Looks very nice, but again..... We shall call DODS

Day of Da'City Source

+ its way to clean looking. Would be sweet if you and a texture artist got together and made it a German Town simialr to the ol'Medal of Honor stuff. Making it Clean would then make sense.

I want to see some DODS Desert Maps!!! Who wants to help make one.. heh

Thanks for the criticism.

Bic B@ll - will add all of those things that you mentioned. Probably lots of leaves on the floor as well.

von*ferret - Cheers.

Polaris - I tried to get it to rain when I started the map, but it does not seem possible in DOD. Should this be the type of lighting I go for, I will drop the brightness down slightly so that they feel more appropriate.

Dark - I will probably add some broken stuff to the areas. Never played a Medal of Honour game. I will check one out to see how they do things. Initially I wanted to make the map look as though it was going through a first wave of attack. A peaceful village, that is just about to be ambushed. Buildings and setting will remain French though.

Erratic - Back of beach can't be accessed, and no fighting will take place there, so hopefully a good 3d skybox can be made.

Furyo - Problem with an unlit version was that the lighting looked a bit too flat. Lamps give off a slight yellow look to the area that would otherwise be too bland. From what people have said, I think dropping the lighting a bit might be called for.

Looks really nice. In the first screenshot, the sidewalk edge looks sort of tall, maybe tweak the displacements there to get a smoother transition.

Also, use more texture variation on the buildings. Add a foundation and whatnot, mix it up a little. Have a look at dod_kalt, some really nice stuff there.

Looks like a promising start, think more open areas would definetly be nice, a field or something maybe to give the folk with rifles a chance. Maybe make some of those building on the street accessible so you can shoot down into the street as well. Some more war damage would also be good, maybe just one or two shelling holes to make it, as you said, look like the initial attack was underway.

Dark, I'd love to make a nice desert map for DOD. Sadly, my first forays into source mapping have all been dire and my texturing skills are non existant.

Insta - Yes, textures are limited at the moment (buildings in the last pic are the exact same ones as the first two pics). Good spot with the step. What do you mean by foundation?

Schmung - The fighting sections so far are more open. I actiually have an area that will eventually be an open farmyard, with a barn in the middle. This is going the be a route mainly for sniping. Trying to set it up so that there are routes/hold off points for all classes. Will post a layout with all the routes at some point, but the map is non-linear, so a couple of open routes should not be a problem. Only the Germans can access the area in the first two pics, and only the Americans can access the beach.

I don't really dig the lit up street lights in the middle of the day, noticeably during the WWII era. Maybe you want to check that out. I think it attracts the eye too much, and an unlit version would add to the atmosphere

Well, it's common to see street lights on during the day, often in the early mornings or before nightfall, as it depends on when the timers are set and they arn't always tuned to the season. At least these days, not sure how they put these things on 60 years ago. Either way, I still think it adds to the atmosphere more, whether or not it's realistic.

And plus, by the lighting/sky in the map, it's really up to anyones imagination as to what time of day it is.