Sign in to follow this  
Warby

warby presents: de_wanda 100% custom map for cs-source

I think some of the architecture looks cool and some parts do look very creative, but like schmung said, this map is just totally schizoid.. Nothing really makes any sense (including most of the architecture, some textures) and it all just seems like something I from a distorted dream..

I am not saying there's no quality or creativity but I can't say I really like what I see.. Strange..

Yea, I somewhat feel the same. I know most of your CS levels, which are mostly very realistic looking and your UT levels which got a great sci-fi, fantasy look.

Now this map is something in between and I'm not sure if you have made up your mind which style you are going for either. Because the architecture looks far from realistic in most places, yet you use those realistic textures. So in my eyes, you need to choose between one of these two in order to get this level working from a visual point of view :)

If you think I don't see the whole picture, I will wait and would love to be amazed by a more finalized version ;)

I also agree with Peris, it certainly looks like you've put a lot of work and time into it, kudos for that!

no i think you DO see the whole picture

the maps setting is defnitly fantasy its inspired by the homeworld in beyond good and evil called hillys but now ubi used exclusivly handpainted textures i dont have the time for that unfortunatly so iam kind of sitting between the chairs so my only choice is probably to drop beyond good and evil and go for all out real (which is gonna be alot of work)

but the zigazag stairs are defnitly gonna stay :D

I think the new screenshots look much better. I like the overall style you got going, to me the map looks very basic yet though. You also need to do something about the water, it looks horrible.

I have always been a sucker for realism with a twist:)

i love the water what do you dislike about it ... the color ? (can you effeckt hat in hl2 ?!)

-New picture #5 - Broken wall looks silly in any map.

Replace with a window or archway, if that opening has to be there.

-New picture #6 - GIANT stones in the wall to the right of your gun.

Is it an oversight ?

Different texture please.

-Water could be slightly more reflective.

Looks pretty good so far though.

The custom content looks amazing, but like the others said you just have to used it in a more polished style of architecture. I like the water texture, alot, and as Phil said that map has potential to be amazing~

It looks very surreal. I like it, but I really think you should take this in a more realistic direction. Or maybe you could make another map in the near future using these textures, perhaps for DoDS.

my coworker scott duquette made these really sweet paint overs and earlyer or later i want to adopt everythign he suggested:

i reallly liked te look of the red building but now that i look closer it looks more like wooden sleds than actual red brick ... so that needs to et worked on ( just like everything ^^)

css_nice_1_paintover.jpg

css_nice_2_paintover.jpg