Sign in to follow this  
Warby

warby presents: de_wanda 100% custom map for cs-source

Love the textures (especially the red/blue stone one in the last pic) and the general theme and feel of the map. Seems a touch too bright for me, but this might just be because of the screenies. I know HDR often looks a lot more subtle in game.

Constructive crits:

Not getting the feeling of it being a real place yet. I think part of the reason for this is the water that runs through the level. This feature feels like something that is placed in the map for coolness, rather than plausibility. Because the textures look so realistic, I would expect to see a matching environment. Still, the water does give the map a unique feel, and maybe it will not be an issue when the rest of the details have been added.

The building with the red roof in the first pic looks a bit too small in comparison to the windows. To me, it feels as though the building should be a lot larger. It has the look and feel of a mansion (like in de_chateau), but not the size. Possibly use the style of this building to detail a larger section elsewhere in the map?

I think it could be good to add some separation between the buildings, along with some inaccessible eye candy. At the moment the buildings are butted together, and stacked on top of each other. This kind of detracts from the impression of the map being a smaller part of a larger world. Possibly add walls/fences instead of buildings where possible, and add a detailed 3d skybox rolling into the distance?

Looking forward to this though. Was a big fan of de_bahrain in the 1.6 days. Had lots of fun on it :D

Ooh, nice. It reminds me a lot of Tomb Raider 2's level where you have to drive the boat around ¬_¬. Crits on textures though, The yellow walls that have stains on them either need to have much less apparent stains, or much better tiling stains. Other than that, I really like the textures.

I agree with mino, there's some really cool textures and geometry there but it just looks like its been thrown together without much consideration. I can hardly see any consisting theme in the visuals, it all looks different D:

Sorry but I don't like it. It seems that you mixing too many styles and the lighting is just bad. The textures also don't fit together. I like the height variation in the first pic though.

Agreed. It's cool there's all new textures and stuff, but that's about it..

Yah, 'tis rather schizophrenic and some bits (like that zigzag ramp) just don't make much sense. Plus, as mentioned, the HDR bloom is eye searing in it's intensity. The textures and some bits of architecture are really nice though, so I think with a bit of tidying and reworkigng you could have something pretty cool.

what i ve done: added lots of overlays changed the lighting to be like dod anzio ^^ and added rooftops optimized the vising in the map reduced 15.000 to 3500 VIS leafs

de_wanda_alpha2_01.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_02.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_03.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_04.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_05.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_06.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_07.jpg

next on my list power-cables, telgraph-poles, everythign on scotts paint overs and fixing the lighting fuck ups under the func_detail_roofs ...

still a long way to go

Yah, 'tis rather schizophrenic and some bits (like that zigzag ramp) just don't make much sense.

1024_IMG_3678.jpg

it doesnt have to make sense it just has to be cute and cosy ^^ :banjo:

wow, this might be one the the strangest maps Ive ever layed eyes upon..

I think some of the architecture looks cool and some parts do look very creative, but like schmung said, this map is just totally schizoid.. Nothing really makes any sense (including most of the architecture, some textures) and it all just seems like something I from a distorted dream..

I am not saying there's no quality or creativity but I can't say I really like what I see.. Strange..

this is already showing a ridiculous ammount of work :o Very awesome. I agree it looks abit strange here and there but i dont mind that :), I would make it even more strange. Make the buildings more croocked!