DE_KERK [updated July 5th, new screens page 2 + beta d/l]

Fletch

Please contain any shock and/or awe. Following hot on the heels of my last map release (you know... 2001... I think), I've put together de_kerk. It's still in the optimizing/detailing stage. I'll try to get a beta download out in the next day or so.

de_kerk0007.jpg

de_kerk0008.jpg

de_kerk0009.jpg

de_kerk0010.jpg

de_kerk0011.jpg

P.S. A big shoutout to Valve for trying their hardest to break all the development tools. It's nice being able to have HDR or cubemaps, but not both. Jerks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The common texture on many surfaces and environment lighting are kinda swallowing up your architecture at the moment, making it appear shapeless and duller than it really is. With some tweaked lighting and more variety in the texturing I think it'll look a lot better / more interesting.

The theme is too contrasting imo. It ranges from mansion-like buildings, to castles/churches and industrial brick buildings. The textures need some variation too, specially the stone walls in the third shot. Have you got an overview shot of the layout ?

P.S. A big shoutout to Valve for trying their hardest to break all the development tools. It's nice being able to have HDR or cubemaps, but not both. Jerks.

Cubemaps and HDR

If the map has been compiled with the HDR lighting option enabled in VRAD, cubemaps must be built in both HDR and LDR (non-HDR) modes. Building cubemaps in only one mode will mean that cubemaps will not be present the other mode. For information on how to build cubemaps under HDR, see HDR Lighting Basics.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... ing_Basics

Hope that's helpful

Holy fucking shit, I'm stunned (I tried to contain myself D:)

Looks pretty good fletch, has a pretty neat feel to it, some of the areas are a bit dull though, the graveyard bit feels kinda dull but maybe thats intentional ;)

Anyway, good stuff~~

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding repetitive texture use of that one texture... yeah, I know. The problem is that the building oganically flows into the fortified walls, etc. I spent most of tonight putting overlays in the level and did some experiments with overlays on the church (those weardown stains from overhangs you see in old buildings, etc). I'm compiling tonnight and I'll see if they're going to be managable without killing frames (these freaking overlays are either going to be my best friend or i'll hate them)

Same goes for some of the detailing. I made a major detailing pass today, so everything has little flourishes here and there (and some eaves and rails are scaled better).

That giant white apartmenty looking building got a lot of nice flourishes today, so hopefully those will come out better.

As for HDR, Valve's latest "engine update" (which is the same one that broke Hammer and the deve tools) has done some screwy things with HDR, namely when I build cubemaps in both HDR and LDR modes, the game just permanently gets stuck with HDR cubemaps and HDR at full bloom. I've talked to some other people about it and they've had similar stories. So for the time being, I'm going to ditch HDR until Valve fixes things.

If the compile goes well tonight, I'll put up a playable beta tomorrow.

fletch, it is my understanding cubemaps are borked since the update and they shouldn't be built in the first place. Others have noticed the problem really only happens with Ati card owners. Bottom line, I wouldn't even bother finding a fix for the cubemaps, especially since you have still lots to do on the map.