El Paso [Outlaws&Lawmen] (updated 17 jan)

R_Yell

Imo that looks friggin' fun, i've always enjoyed games with the same theme. Seems like your point is to make a fun mod and you aren't too accurate about the historical part, which is a good thing. Hoping to see this coming out near future. :)

Maybe i could try to participate as a level designer at some point if needed, working on another level atm tho. :?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right, we don't want to be completely accurate, but on the other side, there won't be giant mechanical spiders neither :D Sometimes you need to stretch history a bit to fit with your game needs. We are using some late weapons as the winchester pump shotgun (1905).

We'll need mappers for sure teeluu, at the moment there are 2 levels made from zero by me and 99% completed, 2 more left undone and I'm taking care of them, and 2 more being made by other mapper (one of them almost done).

Our first need right now would be a world prop modeler, we'll gladly accept any contribution there. If someone want to model a steam engine plz contact with me.

I also want to comment my results using prop static lighting. That feature are incredibly buggy, but it works sometimes, mostly when prop isn't concave and is facing sun:

th_59855_elpaso_rc20003_122_502lo.jpg

Shadows in Source Engine are so... painful. I speak in general, wish there weren't so many tweaks needed to get decent shadows all around.

There should be a release in the upcoming 2 or 3 months if doesn't happen a major disaster. All should be ready once weapon selection and experience system are finalized.

Oh, the Lee van Cleef is nice! but, the double barreled shotgun in 3rd person is way too big :P

And yea, don't talk to me about shadows, try making a city scape cut in half where half of the building is in the main map and the other half is 3Dskybox. The specular maps are different + the shadows are different. I mailed Valve about that and did countless tests. In the end I had to make every texture that is cut in the 3Dskybox twice, the 3Dskybox one a bit darker than the main one. And this doesn't help the final overall texture MB's used. But it worked out fine, you can still see the seam in some points if you watch it closely (which no one ever will during combat). But Valve really makes it very hard on some issues for us simple mod-folk :P