WIP - Dungeon Keeper (ModelingPass)

capone_adam

It's not from either as far as I'm aware John, it's just capone's concept. He posted up lots of designs for it a while back.

My only thought about the 3D work so far is that the eyes need more of a bulge above them. Dunno if thats something you just plan on adding in with z-brush though, so maybe that's not of much importance. I adore the way you've drawn the 2D concept, looks adorable in a grotesque kinda way :D

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would update you on my slowest moving project of all time :)

Heh, I'm going against the concept now. I've realised that trying to create 'mickey mouse' in zbrush is pointless. The whole point of zbrush is to add those 'cliche' wrinkles and muscles.

I'm thinking maybe I'm being too ambitious for my first zbrush pass...maybe I should either just do the head and then move on or to just move on anyway and do something simple like a brick?

Anyway here is the pic, would love to hear your thoughts no matter how bad :)

latest.jpg

hehe your model totally reminded me of this one from pior oberson :D

http://www.pioroberson.com/modelpics/3d ... y_pose.jpg

http://www.pioroberson.com/images/3d_aquaboy01.jpg

http://www.pioroberson.com/images/3d_aquaboy03.jpg

what i was wondering about, is, the uvmap on that collage looks quite quite stretched :o

is that really alright ? looks really weird to me as if you forgot to use some checkermap. cause the proportions of the head looks as if you'd need to scale the uv's horizontally quite a bit.

but i really like the zbrushed version. while the lowpoly model didn't look like it you improved the modeling too much on the last models, cause it has still the same itches but the zbrush hipoly thing is very very lovely. i like it very much \o/

Wow that other design is uncanny :shock:

Yeah that uv map looks wrong but it was the only way I could make my checker map on my character have squares instead of stretched rectangles if that makes sense. I didn't know what else to do as it was the only way to keep it all square.

I actually reexported my mesh into zbrush and did a new head pass. Tried a different type of mouth so that it appears more defined on the low poly but as you can see it didn't work. Oh also my eyes are screwed. Oh and also if you look closley on my low poly you can see hard edges even though a)they don't appear on the texture and b)I autosmoothed the head.

Starting to realize that large buldges like eye brows don't really work with low poly conversions. It works for all the subtle muscles really well. Zbrush seems a tad pointless since you can do subtle bumps quite easilly with nvidia filter.

latest2.jpg

Nice one

You would want to exaggerate the stuff you do in zbrush tho, I know it's easy to fall in for making small subtle things but you need to think what resolution you will render the normal in and that subtle things won't show much in the normal.

Although since you've got a nice base there you could actually just copy your whole normalmap in photoshop and make set the new layer to overlay and it will make it stronger.

Although since you've got a nice base there you could actually just copy your whole normalmap in photoshop and make set the new layer to overlay and it will make it stronger.

Not quite sure what you mean Phillp?, overlay what exactly? my nvidia filter layers?

Also, if I am getting results like these on the low poly model then doesn't that mean my normal map is wrong anyway?

Thanks,