I consider to buy one of these [GP2X]

x2front.jpg

To sum up the GP2X:

It can play games. It can play your Movies. It can play your music. It can view photos. It can read Ebooks. It runs on just 2 AA batteries - And it can do all this in the palm of your hand or on your TV screen.

Yes that's right, this handheld can connect to the TV, console style. Watch your DivX movies on the TV. Play emulated classics on the TV. Try big screen Quake. Or just play them all on the GP2X's large 320*240 backlit screen. You get the best of both worlds.

It runs the free Linux operating system. This means a whole world of Games, Utilities and Emulators are at your disposal. Quake, Doom, SNES, Megadrive, MAME, Media players and Applications to name just a few.

It's powerful - Two 200mhz CPU's with 64meg of RAM, custom graphics hardware and decoding chips. Takes SD cards and has 64M of NAND memory. Plenty to play with. One of the most powerful and advanced handhelds today.

That means it can play movies without any re-encoding. Just put them onto an SD card. Any size. Any resolution. No messing about. The GP2X scaling chip will resize to fit the screen. No other handheld can do that.

It's cheap. Just £124.99.

It's open. You want to develop your own games for the GP2X? Go right ahead. The SDK is included with the system free. Not since the days of the Amiga has a system been so easy to develop for, commercially and for fun.

The GP2X isn't just another wannabe be Gameboy. Its a whole different design. A whole new idea for a handheld games system.

But wait, we're not new to the scene. Heard of the GP32? An accidental experiment in an open source handheld that went right. Some 30,000 units were sold worldwide, mostly in the UK and parts of Europe. The machine has an astonishing following. The GP2X is the successor.

http://gp2x.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

-------------

What do you think? I want a toy for my sometimes boring workplace that is bargain and offers lot of fun. Ok, it doesn't have the newest games like psp but it offers the possibility to play a shitload of game classics (Duke 3d, quake etc.) and other software. It can play movies, mp'3 etc and stores its shit on cheap sd cards (4 gigs cost around 90-99 euro). Sounds really good imo.

i heard about this too and it seems pretty cool :)

but i'm going to buy the nintendo DS lite when its out for my handheld needs. With homebrew i can also run emulators on it and play scummvm games :)

What bothers me about teh gp2X is that the controls dont really seem that good for running shooters. I also worry about the boot times and hassle with installing stuff. With a handheld i want it simple, insert cartridge and play some mario for 5 minutes on the toilet.

I have one. it's good, there were some controller issues but i believe that has been greatly improved with the new ones (new cap to the joystick and contacts rotated 45 degrees so x and y have greater contracts than the diagonals)

I mainly use mine to play scummvm and ultima 7 :D

I do have back to the future on it though! :)

I also worry about the boot times and hassle with installing stuff. With a handheld i want it simple, insert cartridge and play some mario for 5 minutes on the toilet.

ngh! the boot times have fallen with latest firmwares, firmware installation has become safer and faster. to run things, you simply put them on the sd card, turn on and play. simple and quick

Actually, they will. Not alkaline batteries (where you don't get constant voltage) but get some good rechargables and you're set.

Problem with lithium batteries, what happens if they go out of business and your battery slowly dies over the years?

AA is sensible for this product, imo.

Problem with lithium batteries, what happens if they go out of business and your battery slowly dies over the years?

afaik, all my electronics' lithium batteries are rechargable. (unless there's a difference between lithium and lithium ion)

Yes, but as I understand over time they degrade in how long they will operate (how much charge they will take)? Certainly true with my mobile phone and ipod (though i believe they're designed to last 15 years)

I suppose you'd buy a new set of rechargeables. Which would still be more economic than 2 normal AAs buying them like every other day. :roll:

I guess you missed something posted earlier? Rechargables, not regular alkaline AA. Regular AA battery isn't really suited for a lot of things, fine for tv remote etc.

The company may one day go out of business in which case you may not be able to get a new battery, so rechargable AA is handy.

I ordered my GP2X Mk2 today together with a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II sd card! :-D

I have 12 decent AA rechargables from my SLR cam (Ansmann 2800 mAh). They should do a good job.

According to the wiki the boot time is around 14 seconds. Can't wait to play neo geo games 'n shit at work, watch movies and fiddle around with the thing :cool: