Interview with Scott Miller (3D Realms)

Found this on digg. A really interesting interview with the CEO of 3d Realms, Scott Miller. He talks about Prey and Duke, but mainly he talks about how hollywood licensing into the gaming industry is bad, and more innovative, first game franchise starters are more important. Now if only we could get more publishers to think like that.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12680

Nice stuff :D

THR: What about the latest "Duke" game ... the one that seems to be taking forever to build?

Miller: We've put about $7.5 million into that and we've been working on it since late 1998. So it really hasn't been that much of an investment. And once it comes out, if it's as successful as we think it'll be, we'll make that money back in the first day or two of sales.

:lol:

Nice stuff :D

Miller: We've put about $7.5 million into that and we've been working on it since late 1998. So it really hasn't been that much of an investment. And once it comes out, if it's as successful as we think it'll be, we'll make that money back in the first day or two of sales.

Strange, i feel like im going to download this :D

I wouldn't trust anything 3dr has to say about how the industry is working with any kind of validity. They've managed to not ship the product they're working on for going on twelve years and every step of the way have been vocal about what everyone else is doing wrong. To call other devs out for using licenses is absolute rubbish. People want to play licenses so people make them, and a lot of times they make them so their company doesn't close.

This is like Paris Hilton giving a homeless guy advice on how to get a job.

I wouldn't trust anything 3dr has to say about how the industry is working with any kind of validity.

I have the utmost respect for 3DR personally. George Brousard is kind of like the Col. Kurtz of the videogame industry. He does his own thing unbound by publishers or the desires of players for more ported/expanded/licensed cookie-cutter games. I know everyone laughs at Duke's borderline vapor-ware status, but 3DR has also shipped other titles and worked with other companies in the interim and managed to stay a float and stay true to themselves. That's more than can be said for a lot of smaller developers who aim big. ;)