google's sketchup

zaphod

google is developing this little 3d modeling app to create structures to put into google earth. It's a pretty neat little program based on the tutorials I watched here http://sketchup.google.com/tutorials.html

this looks like it would be a great tool for quickly mocking up things in 3d, it would be radical if there was some kind of export to some common 3d format as well.

I was thinking about doing this for my level. I'd have to explore the program first though, so thats why I went with just making stuff in max. it does look interesting. I heard they want to integrate this some how with google earth so that the world can be shown in 3d. Pretty neat sounding!

I've heard good things about SketchUp for a while now, but only recently found out that it has anything to do with Google. I watched the video tutorials and it certainly seems like a neat program. I've downloaded it but trying it out will have to wait.

You need SketchUp Pro if you want to:

-Print and export raster images at higher-than-screen resolution.

-Access to the following 3D export formats: DWG, DXF, 3DS, OBJ, XSI, VRML and FBX.

-Export animations and walkthroughs as MOV (Mac) or AVI (Windows) files.

-Use the Sandbox Tools (for organic modeling of terrain, etc) and the Film & Stage Tools (for pre-viz work).

-Have access to free email tech support for two years from purchase.