dvd player

Duff-e

last night i rented lotr:rotk and realized that my sound system is lacking a little bit of something.

i decided it was time for a new dvd player since ive been using my ps2 as my primary player with optical dolby digital pro logic out (gag)

i want to buy a dvd player with 6 channel output and other nice features but im not sure what i should get. also something else thats important to me is DTS. does my reciever have to be able to decode DTS in order to play it back or if the dvd player decodes it itself is that good enough?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 14&depa=10

ive been looking at this one but im not sure...i would rather buy it from a local retailer then online if possible (so best buy, circuit city, etc etc)

any other recommendations as far as recievers/speakers/technology in general is welcome and appreciated

- love, duffy

(btw if you're not really sure or anything just post because i want to go pick it up tonight :))

edit: i just thought of something else too, do you have to have a digital tv to take advantage progressive scanning....can you still use progressive scan dvd players on analog tv's just with the feature disabled?

we have a phillips dvd player that can play xvids, divxs etc. everything n it works perfectly (even tho phillips isnt exactly bst quality evr). I fink its kinda braindead to buy a regular dvd player unless its really cheap or sumthing.

anyway, cockcalcium

:megamon:

thats true if you just want to play a dvd. what ive learned from buying cheap electronic components though is that if you ever want to buy say a really nice tv, you have to have a really nice dvd player with component video and 6 channel audio and then you have to have a reciever that can take these things and speakers that can reproduce the sound you want etc etc etc it just goes on and on like this. thats why i just want to buy a really nice expensive dvd player that does everything so when i buy my 40" sony wega tv this summer i dont have to waste another $200 because i didnt get some feature that makes all the difference.

you're going to need a reciever that decodes DTS in addition to a DVD player that reads it if you want to listen to any DTS track.

Your best bet to get a combo system where you can pick up a DVD player, reciever, speakers, and a sub. They're usually a few hundred cheaper than buying everything together, and you know all the components will work nicely with each other. Sony and Yamaha have good entry level combo packages you might want to look into. Check out deals on the web and open box specials at retail stores for good deals.

we have a phillips dvd player that can play xvids, divxs etc. everything n it works perfectly (even tho phillips isnt exactly bst quality evr). I fink its kinda braindead to buy a regular dvd player unless its really cheap or sumthing.

anyway, cockcalcium

:megamon:

we also have that one...

it's zee pwn~ 8)