Nightwatch stops development on HL version...

spacer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be up to Adam Foster to release the WADs, since he made at least 95% of the textures.

I know he's providing the guys with the (usually) high-res sources currently, so I imagine a lot of them will show up in the Source version, too.

I would assume the same would be said for his chapter 2 stuff (or whatever chapter it became). I still get chills on the flyover with the non-electronic version of this track in the background.

Zacker, keep your own experience to your own projects. :) I don't think we lost a single person from our level staff out of lack of interest, at least not during my stay. I've been gone for nearly 2 years now and still can look through my gigs upon gigs of content and random progress shots and the like and be just as excited now as I ever was for it. Ken and I talk quite often about how much fun it was and how we miss it to this day. God, that initial team we had, even through the first round or two of expansion, absolutely shamed me and everything I've ever built. I was damn proud to call myself the worst on the team. :)

If we had been able to retain our original core team (well, plus an animator, maybe ;) ), I still believe we could have and would have nailed it. But that's not how it ended up. When other opportunities arose or more important issues got in the way, we lost people, and bringing in people took time to get up and running and that's valuable time we lost, no matter how good the results ended up being (ferret, Ben, CJ, among others, I'm looking at you :) ). That's by no means a dig at people we added later, who are all great minus the few deadbeats we had to deal with along the way, but for a while before people were being plucked away from us we were absolutely cranking.

I could go on and on about all the things I did wrong or could/should have done differently, but that's true for anything I've worked on on any scale. I'm happy to just leave it as a bunch of great people I had the chance to work with on something that, I dare say, turned out to be pretty damn cool. :) My only real regret per se looking back is that I had to leave it.

I can go back and forth on the Source decision all day just by myself, but I think the guys who are still there are set on still delivering what we set out to do, or at least roughly so (and with a far, FAR better story, phew) and for that they've got my trust and support.

Although if Adam's chapter 2 stuff doesn't get transferred over, someone will die a painful death... ;)

see this is what i dont understand. 80 BSPs? Jesus people, you are making mods... not commercial games... Keep your game size small so you can actually release something.

True, however look at BM Source, if they're going to remake the whole HL1 then we're looking at over 100 bsps here :oops:

see this is what i dont understand. 80 BSPs? Jesus people, you are making mods... not commercial games... Keep your game size small so you can actually release something.

True, however look at BM Source, if they're going to remake the whole HL1 then we're looking at over 100 bsps here :oops:

96. If I recall...

Thing to remember is those are, with a couple exceptions, damn small. Check out the c1a0 or whatever .rmf that shipped with the HL1 SDK - a couple of rooms and that's it. The initial plans for NW that included the 80-count were looking at maps typically close to the HL1 size, especially given the much higher texture resolution and poly counts, needed to keep load times down. They bloated a bit, as should be almost expected, I suppose, but I think final counts during my tenure were closer to low 60s, of which I think I remember 35-40 were well under way if not nearly done. But still smaller maps.

You could build a bsp or two in just a couple days under the original HL limitations. :)