Nightwatch stops development on HL version...

spacer

... To concentrate on the HL2 version. Was it just me, or was Nightwatch *the* HLSP mod because it looked so good for the HL engine? The HL2 version just looks like a more generic looking version of BMS. Not gewd.

It'd be cool if the NW devs at least released the HL version .wads they've made, as they won't be used anymore. I'd sure like to mess about with them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not agree on their decission, but I guess they got their reasons. The cool thing about Nightwatch is/was how far they were able to push an old engine such as the HL engine. If they move to Source then I am afraid that it has to be really impressive before I think it was a good move.

Imo it says something about lack of proper leadership if they even after so many years of development by the most talented modders still not are able to get a public release done.

You must realize that the thing about singleplayer mods is, that you can't release it until it really is done. Because it's all about the story. You can't have a mod that suddenly just ends during a random level. Of course you can do the "episodic release" that people have been getting into.

With multiplayer you can release a beta 0.000001 and just update it as you go.

You must realize that the thing about singleplayer mods is, that you can't release it until it really is done. Because it's all about the story. You can't have a mod that suddenly just ends during a random level. Of course you can do the "episodic release" that people have been getting into.

Well yes, but surely that would mean it'd make more sense to continue with the hl1 version, as that is substantially more "done" then the hl2 version.

Well yes, but surely that would mean it'd make more sense to continue with the hl1 version, as that is substantially more "done" then the hl2 version.

I agree, it would have been nice to see something get released. The dev team probably thought it was no use in continuing work on an obsolete engine and decided to upgrade it. I hope they didn't start ALL OVER again.

Anyways, I'd hate to see Nightwatch get caught by the Duke-Nukem-Forever-syndrome :P

I always kind of considered Nightwatch the Duke Nukem Forever of the HL mod community. It came out really strong... and then... kinda... sat there. I vaguely remember when it was first announced that it was supposed to be a HL All-Stars mod where a lot of really creative people would get together and get the thing out in a resonable amount of time. Of course, I really can't look at it too harshly because so many of the level designers left the mod for professional jobs.

I hope the HL2 project works, but it seems like it's going to be one of two scenarios. 1) It's going to look like HL maps with a few props scattered here and there, but it gets released sooner rather than later. 2) The team will decide that's going to look bad and start from scratch, in which case it comes out in a long time.

I wish them the best, but I'm still worried about project leadership.

I think when it started it was actually just a solo-project for Andrew Weldon rather than an all-stars mod, but it certainly turned into that. I think their source stuff looks good, but their HL1 stuff looked jaw dropping. I think they were fast losing their feasible release window for the HL1 engine, and so decided to give it up for lost, but I'm sad to see it happen. So much awesome content that may well just be scrapped.

I saw the new screenshots and just assumed they were HL1. This is partly because their HL1 mapping was amazing and partly because their HL2 stuff just looks pretty uninspired compared to their use of the HL1 engine. I s'pose it's only natural that it'll take the dev team a while to find their feet on source.

I was kind of looking forward to seeing how much more they could squeeze out of the HL engine, but I guess that's now history. Oh well. Best of luck to them :)