Sign in to follow this  
Mojo

Image Leeching and You

It has come to our attention that there has been an increasing number of people hotlinking images, posting images here that are not on their own webspace. This is frowned upon since you are using other people's bandwidth for your own use. There are sites out there for this sort of thing

http://www.photobucket.com

http://www.imageshack.us

Even if its a small image no bigger than 5KB, please do not hotlink. It uses up the other persons bandwidth that they pay for. Its like buying a carton of eggs only to find out that someone has been taking them from your refrigerator without you knowing.

UPDATE: 03/25/06

If you are using something from mapcore that is hosted on mapcore, then you more than likely can use them here without having to host the image from photobucket or imageshack (/me looks at Mino) Since the bandwidth is already being used here, there is no need to have the image be downlaoded again from another site. Though this still means you cannot use images from mapcore on other site, since that would be Image stealing, but since it is already being viewed here at mapcore you can use a mapcore image here.

Yeah, that's why it's called bandwidth theft.

Most casual sites only have around ~60GB of traffic per month to burn (although that may be a bit generous as the actual average is probably a lot lower), with every 1mb image you post for example taking away 1mb from that total.

Granted, it's getting better and web hosts are increasingly giving out a lot more bandwidth for your buck, but right now it's best to avoid it as you can seriously bum somebody in the gob if you post a large image on a very popular forum and they end up exceeding their bandwidth.

Some hosts even charge you for excess instead of just cutting you off, which means you can drill into their pockets too. :oops:

If you are using something from mapcore that is hosted on mapcore, then you more than likely can use them here without having to host the image from photobucket or imageshack (/me looks at Mino) Since the bandwidth is already being used here, there is no need to have the image be downlaoded again from another site.

I don't get this one as it's only correct whenever Mojo already has posted in a thread. If he has not and then Mino makes a post with that image hosted on mapcore, then it will result in an increased amount of mapcore bandwidth used. If however mino had hosted on some random site instead then no additional mapcore bandwidth would be used.

If you are using something from mapcore that is hosted on mapcore, then you more than likely can use them here without having to host the image from photobucket or imageshack (/me looks at Mino) Since the bandwidth is already being used here, there is no need to have the image be downlaoded again from another site.

I don't get this one as it's only correct whenever Mojo already has posted in a thread. If he has not and then Mino makes a post with that image hosted on mapcore, then it will result in an increased amount of mapcore bandwidth used. If however mino had hosted on some random site instead then no additional mapcore bandwidth would be used.

Mapcore is 99% forum, so by visiting the forum you already use the bw of almost all images hosted on mapcore

UPDATE: 03/25/06

If you are using something from mapcore that is hosted on mapcore, then you more than likely can use them here without having to host the image from photobucket or imageshack (/me looks at Mino) Since the bandwidth is already being used here, there is no need to have the image be downlaoded again from another site. Though this still means you cannot use images from mapcore on other site, since that would be Image stealing, but since it is already being viewed here at mapcore you can use a mapcore image here.

Example: Mino's (and a few others) Sigs

Instead of using:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i72/d ... ghclub.gif

you could just use

http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/av ... 433068.gif

since its the same image, but if you were to want to use that same image on another forum as sig/avatar/etc then using photobucket or imageshack would be what you want to do. Confusing? :???: Yes.

rofl mino/peri, i pwnt you.

Sign in to follow this