dod_dijon final release

Here it is, final version of dijon.

I spent the last two weeks gathering all sorts of feedback and working on minor details after rc3 was tested among CoJ testers.

Among these changes, the most important ones are the modifications to the wineshop and the garden house, but here's a full list:

Changelist:

Fixed various models drawing distance

Improved architecture => better FPS in the main street area.

Fixed front entrance arches of church

Improved texturing

Fixed entire wine shop flag cap zone -> ground floor only to cap flag

Reworked wineshop to prevent allies spawn camping

Added allies spawn exit

Reworked garden house

HDR fixed

new interiors in most buildings

Enhanced optimization for a more progressive load and hit on performance

Screenshots can be seen at the following link: http://907th.com/Furyo/gallery.html

As always, there are multiple options for downloads:

907th exe file: http://www.907th.com/file.php?id=512

or if you don't want the exe, you can get either a zip or a rar archive:

zip: http://s109912960.onlinehome.us/Furyo/dod_dijon.zip

rar: http://s109912960.onlinehome.us/Furyo/dod_dijon.rar

The map is as far as I'm concerned as good as it'll ever be. It remains my first map ever and as such it may not have everything a good map should, but I'll see about that in my future projects. Time to move on as they say, and the next one will be dod_rive.

Big big thanks to all CoJ testers throughout the beta versions, who have been both very supportive and very detailed in their feedback.

Some of the best stuff I've seen on Source. The only criticism I have to offer is the fact that the buildings have taken very little damage. No broken walls, rubble or dirt? Right now it looks like a nice city in Southern Europe I'd prolly go have a visit, instead of shooting people and dodging German soldiers :D

Yeah I didn't include a short description of the map, but it's based on the actual layout of Dijon's downtown, which was preserved unscathed throughout WWII (no bombing). That's the reason why it doesn't look torn.

The city itself was liberated by the French army and the resistance movement in the early days of Sept. 44. So the map is not historically accurate, but as it happens to be where I live, I liked the idea of having as good reference material as I'd ever get ;)

Technically the brushwork and everything is fine, but when it's all together it lacks something I can't put my finger on. It lacks... harmony? It's like taking random parts from all the DoD levels and putting them into one map - while each part is well constructed on a technical level, the sum of the parts looks very awkward.

I know that crit is really abstract and vague, so you should probably ignore it. I just had to get it out there. :)

Technically the brushwork and everything is fine, but when it's all together it lacks something I can't put my finger on. It lacks... harmony? It's like taking random parts from all the DoD levels and putting them into one map - while each part is well constructed on a technical level, the sum of the parts looks very awkward.

I know that crit is really abstract and vague, so you should probably ignore it. I just had to get it out there. :)

I know exactly how you feel, I was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong Furyo, it's sensational work, but there's something about it that just doesn't sit right.

Oh, and you really should have disabled the shadows on those stone trim props on the corners. :wink:

Thx for the feedback :) I think this feeling the two of you have is due largely to textures, and the fact there's close to no color matching, so it feels like buildings put together from different maps, as opposed to say dod_salerno, which is the exact opposite. But in the end, the real city feels that way too, and though you may just have to take my word for it, it's pretty close to the real city.

Of course, the debate of whether or not mapping real life locations is better than mapping imaginary ones is for another topic ;) I'm just glad to have pushed this one out of the door, after over 2000 hours of work on it (it's the project I learned everything I know with, starting from not being able to set up Hammer :D)