This is fucking bullshit!

Kosmo

I know this has nothing to do with anyone else than myself.

But, today I was strolling about the sites of few schools I would LOVE to apply to. And the first choice in my list already two years in the row, EVTEK where two of my friends have already gone to, SKDR and my old classmate.

They finally have put something on the web for the applicants to read through, tho still no preliminary test that you usually have to do to even get accepted to the entrance examination.

But today, I read the sites and they actually say that 70% of the places in the shool is reserved for high-school graduates and the 30% for students from vocational school, no matter if they studied graphic design (mainly what EVTEK teaches).

Further more, the minimum points to get accepted to the school is 65 which makes it even more unfair since people from high shcool can get up to 10 points more from their diploma than we who come from vocational shcool.

That is so fucking wrong, give me a patsy so I can hit him with a gigantic hammer or drop an anvil on him, or maybe a large safe.

Well, I WAS thinking of applying in to one shcool that has a programming line as a secondary option, but now I think that I might forget EVTEK all thogether and go for the programming line. I already know several 3d modelling softwares and a little about the technical side of rendering and lighting and such, so I might aswell, take the more useful education and continue on self studying 3d modelling.

Fuck this.

You done any programming before? I doubt it is a prerequisite (it wasn't for my course) but you should be aware of what you are getting into if you go for it. I'm now stuck in a course (well, might as well finish since I'm in my final year) teaching me stuff I'm not good at, don't care about, and don't ever plan on following up as a career. Only reason I picked it was because it seemed the most relevant thing to choose at the time. If only I'd been a better artist and coulda got onto the Computer Arts course :(

Best of luck whatever you choose to do man. I don't really know the difference between your vocational schools and high schools, but it sounds like a shitty situation regardless.

I have done programming before, I actually did programming before I decided that I wanted to become a professional artist, but that was just doodling with few languages, C++ and Visual Basic mostly, and even now, I study different scripting and programming languages, mostly because I'm fairly sure that when I aplly for a job at a developer, the extra knowledge on different languages (even if it is not so much that I could program anything useful) helps me get the job.

As I aim for game designer position in the far off future, it is mandatory to know some scripting language these days.

To help you understand the difference between the high school and vocational shcool in Finland is easy, just think about the stupidest arrangement you can imagine and you pretty much got it. And I bet anyone would agree.

After you have gone through the mandatory public schools, you have to choose between two totally opposite paths. The completely theoretical high school path that forces you to seek further education because they don't teach you anything you could use in a job world. Or the completely practical vocational shcool path, that teaches you only the things you need to do single job and absolutely nothing more, not a single thing.

The people coming from high school, have to go to seek for further education, because they don't have a profession which means that they don't get most of the social security for a long time. As opposite the people who come from vocational school have the hardest time to get further education because only thing they know is just the basics of a single profession and not a thread more, but still face the problem of not having a proper higher education to raise in their job and get better salary (thusly forced to seek higher education at some point IF they don't want to be doomed in medicore salary in a medicore job).

The schooling system in Finland, as good as it is, is totally fucked, twisted by some idiotic methods of producing slaves and theorists who end their educational cycle around their 30s without a day earning a living and contributing back to the society.

Yeah, like it wasn't almost impossible to educate yourself in this fucking country, the amount of financial aid isn't something you can actually LIVE if you have any living costs at all, rent, loans, bills. You have to be a rich bastard to be able to study.

I'm just going to check out the preliminary tests and if I can be bothered to do them and apply or should I go for the other school.

Funny thing, the maximum amount of financial aid a student can get is less than the unemployment aid, and unemployment aid is less than the largest military conscript's allowanse.

Who the fuck though that hierarchy out?

When did the military rednecks come more important than students and unemployed people?

When I was in civil service I had almost more money than I have now and I'm working my ass off. When I go to study, my daily budget is 1/4 of what it is now, and I'm supposed to live with it? I wouldn't wonder if there started to be some school massacres in finland soon.

People should do something.

I had to skip a study too because of the fact that me and neither my mother could pay up to the costs that would bring. Now I'm studying my way up on another course, wich takes longer. I'm pretty fine with it , alltough I do think that the educational system is something NEVER to be neglected by any goverment. Ever...

When did the military rednecks come more important than students and unemployed people?

This makes no sense. :arrow:

This makes no sense. :arrow:

I fail to see how that is so complicated that it makes any sense to you.

But nonetheless, I was merely pointing out that why a country such as Finland (we don't have active army, mainly a defence force, which means that we are not participating these new Afghanista, Iraq and such actions over the world) would uphold suchs an expensive reserve while our education system is withering away step by step (in the recent years we have introduced that at some point student should have to pay for higher education and cutting the student aid budget several times).

Why do we value military more than the actual future of the whole nation?

Okay,

First off: the millitary does not only consist of rednecks. Then I'd have to say: a soldier works for the goverment. An unemployed person does not work at all (for a paying org. that is). I don't see why anyone should have any grudge about this, including even you.

I agree with you on the education part. I am not familliar witht the Finnish educational system but it's never cool when the gov starts cutting the budget of education. Education is so important...

Kosmo, why did you choose vocational school anyway?

High school FTW!

You went to high shcool?

Makes me sad, makes you sad too when you realize that after high shcool, it is either minimum of 4 more years of studying or unemployment without social security (living in your moms basement).

When I came from the vocational school I got a profession I started to get full social security right away, and got me a job in a month after school had ended.

So I would say, I choose vocational shcool, so that I could spend 1000€ euros on my computer without saving for a year.