The official: What's your new years resolution?

DD

I'm just curious what some of you have in mind. Mapcore is full of interesting cool people. I bet some bold resolutions will be made, and probably kept.

I was thinking of dedicating at least 30 mins everyday to some piece of art. Like mapping, drawing, painting, writing, photography even. I don't think I do enough of it, which is really I think all I got at this point in my life. Hope that doesn't sound too lame :)

If you've failed at keeping your New Year's resolutions in the past, scientists say this may be because you've chosen the wrong ones or don't admit to yourself that you may fail (which, surprisingly, will help to you succeed). One common mistake is to have too many goals. Another formula for failure is to set your sights on behaviors that are too vague, such as being a better spouse. A third pitfall is setting goals that are too lofty and are not really attainable.

What does work? The Harvard Health Letter says you're more likely to achieve goals that match your own interests and values, rather than those that reflect outside pressures or expectations. In other words, you're more likely to keep a resolution if the motivation is coming from you, not someone else.

You also need to come up with a strategy that's rooted in practical steps. Link the desired behaviors to common events or to habits you already have, so the new behavior becomes more or less automatic. For example, you might improve your pill-taking habits by putting your medications next to your toothbrush.

Is your resolution to quit smoking again this year? Anticipating that you will fail might help you succeed.

"A more productive approach than quitting cold turkey is to think about tobacco dependence as a chronic disease, and expect that there might be periods of relapse and remission," says psychologist Patricia Daza. "On average, most smokers make between five and six attempts to quit before they are successful."

About 25% of people in the United States smoke—that's 50 million people. Half of them try to quit each year, but only five to 10% still don't smoke a year later.

Nicotine can be as addicting as heroin, especially so for psychiatric patients. For patients with schizophrenia, the rate of cigarette smoking can be as high as 88%. Dr. Daza recommends making a plan to quit smoking:

1. Set a date to quit. 2. Tell co-workers, family and friends about your quit date. 3. Clean your house, car and any other place where you typically smoke. Remove all ashtrays, deodorize your house and car to remove the smell of smoke and remove any items that might remind you of smoking. 4. If you usually drink coffee while you smoke, switch to orange juice or another beverage to break the link between drinking a specific beverage and smoking. 5. Recognize that the most intense withdrawal symptoms happen in the first three weeks. 6. Keep a list of reasons for quitting in places you typically smoked.

Nicotine replacement aids such as nicotine gum and the patch, help with withdrawal symptoms and can be purchased over the counter. Smokers can also ask their doctor to prescribe them the drug Zyban, which stimulates the release of a feel-good chemical in the brain, called dopamine, to simulate the effect of nicotine. Studies have shown that the use of the drug doubles quit rates when compared with quitting cold turkey.

Most relapses occur within the first three months after a person stops smoking. One third of relapses occur because of alcohol use, Dr. Daza says. If you do relapse, treat it as a bump in the road rather than proof that you can't quit.

Art credit: http://www.freeimages.co.uk

The most common New Year's resolution is losing weight. Do this the easy way, with scientifically sound diet advice from Anne Strieber that's actually fun to read—and it's FREE! Read Anne's diet book What I Learned From the Fat Years.

Start your year off right with a beautiful 2006 crop circle calendar, but HURRY—we're almost sold out! And don't forget to subscribe today to make sure we'll still be here for you in 2006.

Drink more.

Turn 18 years old (if I dont make this one, then I suck).

Get into mapping again.

Hang more with friends.

Some bitches wouldn't be bad?

And eat more painkillers when hungover, like now.

Oh and I'm gonna learn how to normal map and all this nextgen crap that everyone cares about.

Finish this year of school.

Skate more, and skate switch.

Travel with friends.

Maybe start working out? Cause I need to get in better shape.

Take more photos.

Eat more.

Maybe get some work, so that I can get some money.

- Get accepted into graphic design college

- Get a nice girlfriend (don't really mind if she is hot or not, just want an easy going and interesting person)

- Make new friends

- Enjoy life more

- Get more exercises :o

Interesting thing: 11 mapcorians out of 10 want a new girlfriend.