Sign in to follow this  
R_Yell

[WIP] Presidio

Its a pretty good idea i think, however right now it feels too barren. Add more cactuses and stuff. Props here and there would be nice aswell.

I agree with those saying the rocks look too smooth.

Maybe you should replace the ground texture with something more interesting?

Right now both the mountains and the ground have the same colour, and that just adds to the empty feeling.

Judging by the pics of the area, the ground looks alot brighter than the mountains around it.

nice stuff r_yell . makes me happy and somewhat tingly inside..... mostly tingly ......

thx general!

If you haven't already, put an env_fogcontroller in your level. With it, along with fog, you can set a "Maximum Viewable Distance" that VIS will use. It's pretty handy when used together with fog; virtually unnoticeable at times.

I used that method in some open range maps, but this one uses a more sophisticated design, so I think that will not be needed. But as I said, isn't easy to optimice leafs vis. Thx anyway.

I agree with those saying the rocks look too smooth.

Maybe you should replace the ground texture with something more interesting?

I'm not satisfied at all with ground texture, but haven't found yet a good replacement. Rocks aren't finished, I guarantee better looking rocks or I'll refund your money :D

Yes, not public release yet.

I have created a new set of materials, hope you like the new terrain (I keep working on it):

lostvalley01259pr.th.jpg lostvalley01245lu.th.jpg

I'll start soon with mountains texture, actual would be some kind of base texture.

Rocks aren't so smooth in close view, as you can see here:

lostvalley01199km.th.jpg

But IMO no miracles can be made with this mesh, so I would need to add custom rock models (like far cry maps, to put in perspective)

lostvalley01260ml.th.jpg

Yes, there is a complex caves system that comunicates 3 exterior sides with church's inside, creating an alternative flow inside-outside. Hope can be seen here:

lostvalley01272hc.th.jpg

Think I'm the first doing such complex one single mesh map in source engine. There are nodraws to hide visibility, but thats fast compile.

Do you see the rock texture in the close view smooth and unrock-like? Hmm, How hard you are :D Maybe I'm gonna try to model a normal map in XSI, but doubt result would be much better than that, because that kind of bumps reinforce texture tiling.